Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync service keeps crashing

Sync service keeps crashing

Hi ACT community,

I am having problems with the ACT! 2008 Premium (10.0) Sync service.  The database contains about 12,000 Contacts and is 800 mbytes in size.  There are 62 users, with 36 currently active, 30 of which are remote users with Remote DB's.  All remotes are syncing attachments, but are not all the contacts.  What can I do to improve the reliability of the ACT Sync service?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync service keeps crashing

Network or Internet sync service?
How do you mean "crashes"? What actually happens?
How big is the attachments folder (number of files and total MB)?

With 30+ sync users, you might consider having the sync service on a seperate machine to the database server. See this article in the ACT! knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/2zef6o

Have you upgraded to 10.01? It might improve things, although this might be an issue for you as you need to do it for ALL users in a sync environment

[ Edited ]
The Attachments directory contains 11,000 files for a total space of 1.00 Gigabyte and it is a Network Sync Server.  Remote users use VPN to access the sync server.
Thank you for the sync server information, I have shutdown the sync service and am working on setting up a seperate sync server.  Do you know how many remotes they reccomend syncing against each sync server?

As for errors, I do not see any errors on the server, and the service is still "running" acording to the MMC.  However, the clients get a sync server not responding.  When I look at the task manager the sync process usually is just south of 2 gigabytes of memory...

Message Edited by eh14470 on 03-17-2008 03:35 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I haven't seen any specific recommendations... it can depend on volume of data, specs of the machines, network bandwidth, and many other things.

Monitor the performance and see how you go.