Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync server

Sync server

I am trying to synchronize 2 databases but I keep getting the message "Unable to connect to sync server...". The publisher DB is set to accept incoming syncs & the network sync service is running (2 items the error message said to check). Do the databases need to have the same name? Does the sync server need to be running on both machines? Or is there something else I'm not doing? Both PCs are Windows XP running identical copies of ACT.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync server

If using a Sync Server, you shouldn't set the server ACT! to "Accect Incomming Syncs".

What version of ACT!?

I am running: ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

Also, I was following one of the knowledgebase items "How to Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!" which is why I have the publisher set to "Accept Incoming Syncs"

Application Sync is for use with no sync server, eg for non-Premium users.

You should also get the latest version of ACT! 2009 (11.1) and the latest Hotfix (especially if using sync)

Slightly different problem - sync between my remote database and the publisher DB works fine when another user is logged on to the publisher DB. ie. there are no network access problems, no firewall issues, accept incoming sync is turned on.

If no one is logged on to the publisher DB then the sync fails with the message "unable to connect to sync server"

We have two licenses of Act Pro, both at    - Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Anoyone got any ideas?

Thanks....Jan

This is how Application sync works.... it needs the application open and logged in on the database host machine.

The Premium versions of ACT! have Network and Internet sync servers that runs as a service in Windows and don't need to be logged in

BTW: I'd recommend updating to 13.1 + HF4

Thanks Mike, looks like you confirmed what I suspected. Pity I need to upgrade if I want to use what I'd have thought was a basic feature for remote DBs. And I only bought ACT Pro a month ago :-)

Thanks again and best regards....Jan

Bronze Contributor

Jan why not just leave ACT running and put into startup so it restarts when you turn your machine on then it is always available for synchronisation.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Paul/Mike...Thanks for your input, it's more a day to day usage issue tho'. The publisher DB is on a server PC with two clients - a desktop PC and a laptop (me, running a remote DB). The desktop PC also does some heavy duty processing so it's not workable to have ACT running all day long on it. Starting ACT on the server PC means it's not available to the Desktop PC when this user wants it.

Option 1 is to buy a third license, option 2 is to remember to do a manual sync every few days. Being a small office we'll go with option 2 for now.

Thanks and Best Regards.