Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync problem

Tuned Listener

Sync problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am having a problem syncing from any of my remote databases.  I recently imported another users Act 2007 database (they had been using it on their own PC at home and wanted their data in our system, so I backed up their DB, restored on server, upgraded), now no one can sync, we receive the message Server Error Description: Synchronization Timed Out.

Following advice from another post (instructions i followed), I backed up the database, ran a schema rebuild (which worked) but when I  tried to run a rebuild sync objects i get a message which says database `x` is already open and can have only one user at a time, and I am still unable to sync.

Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks

Brandon

edit:  in my server's act sync log i see 

======== SYNC SESSION - 8/14/2008 11:03:44 AM ========

[ Info | 8/14/2008 11:03:44 AM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 8/14/2008 11:03:44 AM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 8/14/2008 11:03:45 AM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.

in my clients act sync log i see 

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 14/08/2008 11:08:32 AM ========
Start Date/Time: 14/08/2008 11:08:00 AM
Database: brandondemo
User Name: bgabert
Machine Name: \\LOUISELXP
Type of Event: Sync
Task Frequency: Hourly, between 12:00 AM and 12:00 AM
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Server Error Description: Synchronization timed out.  Contact your administrator for assistance.

Message Edited by guardianchem on 08-14-2008 11:10 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync problem

Have you tried rebooting before running the rebuild sync objects?

Have you made sure both versions of ACT! are the same build (from Help | About) and (if using it) the sync server?

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike, thanks for a quick response.

I should have updated the post... after posting this, I thought maybe I should stop the network sync service and attempt the repair again (thinking maybe it had a conn to the DB), but it failed with the same message.

After that I opened ACT on the server and set it to Accept Incoming Sync's.  I brought in one of our laptops to test the sync (it was having the problem) and lo and behold the sync started.  Its been running for quite a while syncing files, I am going to let that operation complete or fail before I troubleshoot further.  I will update my post at that time and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Brandon

edit: we use 10.0.2.191 on both server and client, and the sync server is the same...  am not able to reboot the server at this time as it is does more than just ACT

Message Edited by guardianchem on 08-14-2008 12:10 PM

You said ACT! 2007 database... so I thought it would be 9.0, not 10.0

Accept Incomming Syncs bypasses the Sync Server... so try it via the sync server later

Also, try the rebuild to see if it works (both server and remote) - backup both first!

Tuned Listener

Hi Mike, the sync completed after about 20 hours or so, and the network sync service would not start until the SQL service was restarted, but now it appears to be working correctly, thanks for your time.

Brandon

Which means my first thought for a reboot was have fixed it :-)

It's usually easier to recommend that as many users don't know how to restart services... and even if they can't do it during the work day, it's usually possible to do a reboot after-hours.