Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync out of memory error on server - please help

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Sync out of memory error on server - please help

I'm having an issue with just one user when trying to sync with ACT. When this user tries to sync the sync progress gets all the way to server initialize and then a message pops up that says "Failed to synchronize with the server. Synchronization failed due to an out of memory error on server" I've searched through the knowledge base and support forums and have found other users with this problem but nothing seems to work as a fix.  I've tried repairing the database (both locally and on server), restarting the SQL service, restarting the ACT Network Sync service, deleting temp files, nothing seems to work.  What's unusual is this error message is only happening for one user, all of our other users can sync just fine.  ACT is hosted on a virtual server running Windows Server 2003 with 1.5GB ram and plenty of hard drive space. ACT version is 2007 premium for workgroups version 9.0 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bkpierce
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Sync out of memory error on server - please help

First I'd recommend updating to 9.0.1 There are significant fixes. This update would need to be applied to each machine.

Run Check and Repair from within Act.

Cut a new remote. Restore it. 

In the original remote Lookup > Contact Activity > Records that have changed since Oct 14th. 

Export that lookup to the new database.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

In our experience there are a number of reasons for it. It doesn't appear to have been resolved entirely in latter versions of ACT! until release 11.1

best advice is to upgrade or a work around is to run a script that stops and starts the sync process on the server each day to release memory.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I tried that and it still doesn't work. What's unusual is that this problem is only happening for one user. All of our other users can sync with no issues. I'm starting to suspect the remote database may be corrupted but I am not 100% sure.
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you go to Help | about and open Database Information you will see at the bottom scrollable lists of table size and to the left of that the size of teh database. Check to see if the History table is very large proportion of the database size compared to the Contacts table. If it is a factor of 5 or more larger than it may be a corruption in ACT! History table 

Graeme Leo

Database size is 285MB and the history table is at 25MB and the contact table is at 16MB, that doesn't seem too disproportionate.
Bronze Elite Contributor

That looks fine. You might get away with recutting the remote database for that one user.

Graeme Leo

I am relatively unfamiliair with ACT, is there any risk of losing data with re-creating the database for the remote user? Does the data need to be backed up first? I found instructions on through the knowledge base on how to do it, I just want to make sure no data will be lost during the database re-creation. What about data he has entered since the sync has stopped working? will that be lost during the recreation?

Thank You

Bronze Elite Contributor

You will lose data if you don't import the changed data since last successful sync.

Graeme Leo

I just want to make sure I get this right, the database needs to be recreated and then the information that has been entered since the last successfuly sync (3 days ago) needs to be imported? Where would that information be imported from? It's all stored on his local machine remote database, does it need to be exported out and then imported once the database is re-created?

Bronze Elite Contributor

1. Find all data that has changed on the remote within last 3 days (Lookup Contact Activity)

2.Export to new ACT! database. Import into new incl all user records. This is not a merge at contact field level, it will overwrite, so you need to identify if on the main database there is data changed on the equivalent records  that you want to preserve. Then export to main database but backup the main database first so that you can recover if there is a problem.

3. Cut new remote database and restore to the remote.   

4. Alternatively use a merge software such as Oakmerge at www.oakmerge.com if there is a large amount of data and it needs to merge. I guess not much will have changed in 3 days however.     

Graeme Leo