Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Server

Sync Server

We are running the main database on a remote server with 3 sales people syncing to that database.  Do you use the sync server on the main remote server? or is the sync server only running on each of the 3 sales person's computers?
  Thanks, Don
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync Server

The sync server runs (usually) on the machine with the main Publisher database. It's the software that the remote subscribers connect to when they sync. You should not install it on the sales people's computers.

This ACT! Knowledge Base article contains the best instructions on setting it up - http://tinyurl.com/2g9y5e

Mark:
  Thank you for your help.  This clarifies some things.
     Don

The Knowledge Base articles are good to follow and get things right

"Mark"?

A few people have done that... does "Mike" in my sig look like "Mark"

MIKE:
  Just getting old.

Thanks for this info.  It did help, but I now get the following error message when I try to "Accept Incoming Syncs" at Parent remote server.

"Could not start Sync Server.  Act has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections.  Contact your administrator for assistance."

The Sync Server is running, pointed to the correct database and set to port 65l00.  Any ideas?

If you're running the network Sync Service, you don't set ACT! to accept incomming syncs... that's only for Application sync, which means ACT! has to be running and logged into the database.

With the Network Sync Service, this is handled by the service

Mike:
  Thanks for the help.  If I need you to help me get this whole thing running, are you available?  Also what would it cost.  Don't expect this for nothing.
   By the way, visited your beautiful country about 8 years ago, Syndney, Port Edwards, etc.  Really want to come back and spend a month there.  I have the Aussie itch.
  Don

Probably better to find a local consultant from the list at www.act.com/acc

If you can't, drop me a Private Message here with your location and I'll see what I can do

Mike:
  One last question.  Does Act have to be open and running on the server to or do you only have to have the program set to receive incoming syncs without having the program running at the time?
  Thanks, Don
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

If you use the network sync service, you don't have to let Act opened on the server. This is only when you use Application sync...

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }