Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Question

JHK

Sync Question

New ACT 2012 Premium user version 14.1.108.0, Windows 7 with a server shared database located remotely from where I am right now (I am running the remote database).  I would like to be able to edit and add contact records here on the remote.  If I do that, will those changes be reflected on the main (server) database?

I guess another way of asking the question is: Is the sync two-way, or only uni-directional?  Do I have to make changes only on the server (parent), or can I make them on the remote and have the server database be updated during the sync?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync Question

Sync, if setup correctly is bi-directional ... changes on both ends are synchronised
JHK

After the sync was working fine for a few weeks, suddenly, without having changed anything, I am getting the message on the remote that ACT can't connect toi the sync server.  The IP address of the sync server has not changed, and I can ping the server from the remote successfully.  I am stumped why the sync would suddenly stop working.  I have also run a repair on both the server database and the remote database.  Ideas appreciated...

Silver Super Contributor

Usually one of three things.

1) One of the ACT! installations was updated to a newer version and the other one wasn't

2) A Windows update that broke it

3) An antimailware update the broke it (usually firewall related).

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

When you ping the server name, does it respond with correct IP (check the server IP in case it changed)?
Can you Telnet to the sync port (the port will depend on which service you're using)?
Is the router still forwarding the port to the right machine?
JHK

I have to say I am very impressed and pleased with the willingness to help that both Stan and Mike have shown.  I first checked all of the items Stan had mentioned, and with the versions matching, windows updates rolled back to a time when the sync was working and no malware programs having affected anything, the sync was still not functioning.  I was about to give up, and then Mike's post arrived.  A few months ago I had configured the remote router with DD-WRT and had given the remote computer a static IP address.  I had been meaning to do the same to the server computer, and had gotten as far as setting up a new router which would be compatible with DD-WRT, and I guess because I had done that, I had in the back of my mind that the server was set up with a static IP address.  But it wasn't!  Mikes last point prompted me to check ipconfig on the server, and sure enough, the IP address had changed from 192.168.0.2 to .3, and of course, I had set up port forwarding in the router to forward to .2!  As soon as I changed that forwarding to .3, the sync connection worked fine.  I have since made the IP address of the server computer static, so I won't have to deal with that being changed again.

Thanks so much, Mike and Stan, for being patient with an ACT newbie.  I love the program, especially now that it is syncing properly.