Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync 2 Databases?

Sync 2 Databases?

Is there anway to setup sync server to sync 2 different databases? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync 2 Databases?

I have the premium version.  So how would I set this up?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Install the sync server and add the databases to the sync server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

In the syncconfigfile.xml how do you put both databases in there? 
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi Yukon,

No need to modify the syncconfigfile.xml file.   Simpply install the Network Synchronization Service from the CD, and then follow the instructions below

The ACT! Network synchronization service is a separately installed program. This service lets you monitor incoming data synchronization sessions to an ACT! main database from a remote database. Refer to the ACT! Premium Installation Guide for installation instructions.

You can set up one or more main databases to monitor. A default port number is assigned, but you can change it. Once the service is installed and running, the "ACT! Network Sync Service is running" icon appears in the system tray.

To set up the ACT! Network synchronization service

1. Install the ACT! Network synchronization service as described in the Installation Guide.
  2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to ACT! Network Sync Service, and then click ACT! Network Sync.

or

In the system tray, right-click the ACT! Network Sync Service icon, and select Show/Hide.

1. In the ACT! Network Sync Service dialog box, click Add, browse to the location of the main database to monitor. Click Open.

The machine name and database name appear in the list.

1. To change the default port number, click the Port button. Type the new port number in the field. Click OK.
  2. Click Start Sync Service to manually start the service.
  3. Click Exit to close the dialog box.

The service restarts whenever you restart the machine. When you pause your pointer over the ACT! Network Synchronization Service icon in the system tray, a tooltip appears to tell you if the service is running.

I hope that helps

Michael Kadlub

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca

So I need to stay away from the internet sync and just do the network sync?  If thats the answer then I got that.  I already have the network sync setup, but I had installed the internet sync because I was looking for a solution for the people that need to be able to sync locally and offsite.

I have pcs that need to be synced from offsite and onsite.  WAN and LAN.  What would be the best way to setup.  Like if they are in the office they need to sync locally and if outside they need to sync to WAN. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

yukon wrote:

So I need to stay away from the internet sync and just do the network sync?  If thats the answer then I got that.  I already have the network sync setup, but I had installed the internet sync because I was looking for a solution for the people that need to be able to sync locally and offsite.

Internet sync requires an IIS server. You can use Network sync by using port forwarding or a VPN

I have pcs that need to be synced from offsite and onsite.  WAN and LAN.  What would be the best way to setup.  Like if they are in the office they need to sync locally and if outside they need to sync to WAN. 

Try Hamachi - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

Copper Contributor

Just add another line to add another database on the SyncConfigFile.XML as follows

<DATABASES>
        <Database Name="MYDATABASE" MACHINE="MACHINE1" />
        <Database Name="YOURDATABASE" MACHINE="MACHINE1" />
</DATABASES

Use all caps in the quotes. I just copied the first entry and pasted it below and then changed the database name.