Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Switching servers

Switching servers

Hey guys,

I'm running ACT! 2012 premium on a Windows server 2003 platform and am looking to transfer to a 2012 R2 system. I have the program installed and we're running off the new server, this is just the last little hic-up I have to get through. Any insight as to what I have to do or a point in the right direction would be fantastic. The data base is in the same path location as was on the previous server, just the server name has changed. I tried changing the .PAD file to look at the new server, but to no avail.

Regards,

Ryan

Wrong server

2010 R2, not 2012. Sorry for the confusion Smiley Happy

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Wrong server

Hello Concomp,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

I assume you are getting an error when attempting to open the database - are you unable to open it on the new server?  Or, can you open it on the server, but not on the workstations?

If the problem is on the server: delete the current PAD file and open the database using the ADF file.  Open Sage ACT! > File > Open database > change Files of type to ADF > locate ADF  > open.  This will recreate the PAD file.

If the problem is on the workstations, and you are using an edited version of the old PAD file, give them a copy of the PAD file from the new server.

What is the error you are receiving?

Greg Martin
Sage

I think I found the issue, not all the files came over when I synced the servers. Will get the rest of the files and give your sugestion a shot.

Thanks!

Silver Contributor

If not all of your files came accross, i'd quidestion if you might have stopped the services.

From the other machine, 1) make sure all users are logged out, and then either 1) stop the sql (ACT7) sevicce via services.msc or from ACTdiag, you would detach the ACT database so you can move it.  If you have sync databases, these methods are the only ways to move a database to another server without breaking sync.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider