Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Support for installing ACT! 2010 using Redirected My Documents Folders

Copper Elite Contributor

Support for installing ACT! 2010 using Redirected My Documents Folders

I have a question regarding installation of ACT! 2010 Premium on systems that have their local My Documents folders

on XP Pro Desktops redirected to a Windows 2008 server for backup purposes.  Will the install work with ACT! 2010

Premium?  I know it didn't work in the past and was wondering if this capability has been added or is there a workaround

to getting this to work?

Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Support for installing ACT! 2010 using Redirected My Documents Folders

Because it puts a demo database in the MyDocs and all SQL databases have to be local, the install should be done from a local Admin account with non-redirected My Docs.
Copper Elite Contributor

Thank you for the quick response Mike.  Let's say I install to a shared folder on the Win 2008 Server, am I correct to assume

that the local XP Pro Desktops will not have their preferences updated correctly because they are redirected?  I know for

ACT! purposes the scheduler can be used to save ACT! backups to the server then have it's backup program back up that

file. Would it make more sense to look for a different backup solution instead of using redirection at all?

I'm not sure what you mean?

The ACT! Scheduler can run on the server to backup local databases to a local folder

Copper Elite Contributor

I'm actually trying to make sure two things happen:  That ACT! gets backed up and the My Documents on the XP Pro

workstations are backed up to the server as well.  The network is already configured to use folder redirection on the

Desktops.  The My Documents on the Workstations get backed up to the server.  When users log into Windows the

profile from the server gets loaded not the local one.  If I install ACT! on the Desktops will it know to update the

preferences on the server where they are located instead of in the local C: drive on the workstation?  If not then using

redirection on the workstations is not an option. 

The ACT! database backup only backs up the database in it's folder on the server. The workstation profiles aren't affected by it.

I've just posted an article on backups here: http://unhub.com/lAYU