Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Support for Microsoft Edge Browser

Bronze Elite Contributor

Support for Microsoft Edge Browser

[ Edited ]

System requirements for the latest version of Act! Premium, v20 indicates support for IE 11 but not Microsoft Edge. 

Microsoft Edge is the default Windows 10 browser, has low power consumption (15% better than Chrome) and is way more secure than IE 11.0 

When is it intended that Act! Premium is compatible with Microsoft Edge?   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Administrator

Re: Support for Microsoft Edge Browser

Hi Gleo,

You're right about Microsoft Edge being the default browser for Windows 10 now - and purely for this fact, we're absolutely looking at ways to improve performance on this platform.

One of the reasons that it is not supported by us, is that in order to keep Edge quick and responsive Microsoft have not added support for a variety of plugin and script types. One of these is ActiveX controls, which are used heavily by the Act for Web site - especially with regards to integration with desktop Microsoft products.

For this reason we'll always recommend using Internet Explorer - which is the only browser with full support for ActiveX controls. We also support Chrome as it is by far the most popular web browser used today (57% of people on desktops use Chrome, where only 2.7% of people are using Edge)

Impact across all browsers is definitely considered and tested when releasing updates for the APFW site, even the unsupported ones. It's just that for full-functionality the platform requires more features than Edge currently offers.

Bronze Elite Contributor

An interesting view :-)

Microsoft dropped support for ActiveX, a mid 1990's method of embedding Windows COM based technologies in web pages, because HTML5 changed everything, i.e. the world's moved on. Microsoft Edge like all progressive browsers, supports HTML/Java script based extensions instead, they certainly will not be going back to support ActiveX.
It isn't browsers that need to accommodate Act! for Web, it is about Act! for Web meeting modern standards, hence my question; when is it planned for Act! for Web to come up to those standards? 

Graeme Leo

Employee

Edge is slow to be accepted for anything but general web browsing. Constant Contact does not Support Edge and Sales Force has very limited operation with Edge

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5626-web-browsers-that-work-with-co...

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=getstart_browser_recommendations.htm&type=5

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think so. Salesforce reference to IE is just to provide support for three very dated product lines, likely all in need of ActiveX. Included is Windows Mobile which Microsoft consigned to the scrap heap!

No I don't think so somehow. In contrast Microsoft Edge for iOS and Android were announced recently.  

Graeme Leo

Administrator

I think you're absolutely correct about ActiveX controls being an outdated scripting engine - it's definitely something we're looking to replace down the line, but current development priorities are focused around Outlook issues, bug fixes and feature development.

Act! Essentials, having been developed more recently, certainly makes better use of the modern web platform and is probably a good indicator of the technology we'd be looking to roll out to APFW eventually. Like you said, HTML5 is certainly powerful enough (as well as near-universally supported by browsers).

With more and more of our users opting for our Cloud hosted solution, website improvements are a rising priority, so I'd say watch this space.
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

So in answer to my question... When is it intended that Act! Premium is compatible with Microsoft Edge?   

The answer is 'there are no plans'.  

In the kindest way, if we could have direct answers to direct questions without the spin, that would be useful, thank you.  

Graeme Leo