Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Suddenly, import feature doesn't work

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Suddenly, import feature doesn't work

I use Act premium 2008.  I import contact data saved as either txt or CSV every week.

Yesterday, I succesfully imported 100 or so records.  But for my second import, it simply stopped working. 

What happens is, when the import wizard is on 5 of 7 (the "contact map" screen), the screen is blank.  Usually there are fields there, one from the CSV or txt file, the other representing the fields in Act.  But there's nothing..it's solid beige color, there's not even grids representing the fields.

This happens whether the data to be imported is txt or csv, and whether it's saved to the server or my local machine. It also happens when i try to import data to the demo.

Thank you for your help.

Smiley HappyFarrell

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DebSpecs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Suddenly, import feature doesn't work

XP Pro, Norton and 2.96 GB RAM

but...I called Act Support, and he performed the task without a hitch.  The only step he did different was he left the "import header" field unchecked.

It's been working ever since.

Computers can be strange! 

thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

That sounds like depleted system resources, try restarting the computer and see if the problem goes away.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor

Thank you.  It helped a little.  At least I can see blank fields now.  Now when I click the little "preview arrow", the import wizard seems to freeze.  Any suggestions?  thank you.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Are you using Trend Micro antivirus? XP Home? 512 meg or RAM? Any of those could contribute to resource problems.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Solution
Accepted by topic author DebSpecs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

XP Pro, Norton and 2.96 GB RAM

but...I called Act Support, and he performed the task without a hitch.  The only step he did different was he left the "import header" field unchecked.

It's been working ever since.

Computers can be strange! 

thank you for your help.

Copper Contributor

The same thing has happened to me but I have been unsuccessful fixing it and do not have access to ACT Support.  No mapping appears; a map I used to use no longer works; I do not have the "yes, import the first record" selected; I am using XP and Excel 2007.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have many records to import and do not want to do them one at a time.

Copper Contributor

Anyone else have success fixing this?  I tried a workaround by creating a new database, importing my excel into that one (successfully) and then tried to export that new database into my main database.  Same results - nada.  It does not see any records.
Tuned Listener

Hello! I realize this is years after the last post, but in case anyone else is stumbling across this thread, I've been having the same problem, but I finally fixed it. I tried importing some contact info from Excel many times with different file formats, with turning the duplicate checking on and off, and then I stumbled across the thread that said to open it in notepad and delete carriage returns.  Well instead of finding those, I noticed that one of my headers in Excel was two words, and I thought that that might confuse the importing. Sure enough I changed it to worda_wordb, and everything imported correctly!