Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Subgroup contact to be part of Group

Subgroup contact to be part of Group

Hello,

Is there a way to make the contact of the subgroup part of the group itself?

Because right now I am have a group called Leads, and there are several subgroups under leads, however when I add the contact to the subgroup, it doesnt add to the group as well.

Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Subgroup contact to be part of Group

No, it was designed to no add the subgroup contacts to the main group.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I had a related question. If using dynamic criteria for both groups and subgroups, does the group criteria filter down to the subgroup. So if the Group is defined as 'Field A' = 1, then the subgroup is 'Field B' = 1. Will the subgroup be populated by a contact where Field A = 2, but Field B = 1?

Copper Contributor

Just confirmed myself with a simple test it does not. Which makes the idea of a "subgroup" pretty worthless. Is there a way to get the criteria to carryover without copying it into the subgroup criteria manually?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Try the create duplicate option in groups

Copper Elite Contributor

You can accomplish what you want by duplicating the 1st group using the all fields option which will retain the current dynamic rules. You then would add more criteria, change the name to represent the criteria and drag the group under the original group.

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Copper Contributor

Does that seem a tad bit silly then? It's not truly a subgroup in that case, it's just another group.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Maybe we need to be challenged about how this and companies and divisions work. We used to ask for an option to show all contacts in liked sub-groups and all contacts in linked divisions of a company but after years of no response let the request go. Might be the time to raise this again as a suggested feature.

yes. i totally agree.

it seems to much work to add the data from the subgroups to group. 

the subgroup technically a different group.

Copper Contributor

The way I see it there are two approaches:

1. You set the criteria for a subgroup, and the contacts from all sub groups are linked to the parent group.

2. You set the criteria for a group, then the subgroups only "see" the contacts in the parent group to match the criteria of the subgroup.

I personally prefer the second method, as it seems more intuitive to me, but it could just be due to the way I use groups.