Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Strange Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Strange Problem

When I am viewing a contact in detail view the name in the contact field is missing the 13th and 14th characters. It is like there are pixels missing. In all other views the name is fine. This is also the case in all the remote databases. It's a pain because in some names it's not obvious what those letters should be. This one has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Strange Problem

Thanks again Greig but I figured out an easier solution. I just deleted the contact field in that particular layout and created a new one and that fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello bdc11,

That is very strange. Could be a problem with the field itself or possibly the layout. Does it also appear this way in other views where the contact name is displayed, such as the Task List, Contact List, Calendar, or Opportuity views? For one contact, try deleting the name, saving the record, then typing the name back in and see if you see the same thing. Also, try switching to another contact layout. In addition, try running maintenance on your database by going to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greig. Thanks for your reply. I tried all of your suggestions and have determined that it must be a problem in the layout as the problem doesn't exist any any of the other layouts. As I did not design it and haven't had much experience with layouts I'm not sure how to fix this. Could you give me some guidance?

Thanks 

Brent

Message Edited by bdc11 on 06-18-2010 07:58 AM

Brent,

Unfortunately there is little that can be done to repair a damaged layout. In most cases you would need to try and recover an earlier version of your layout or create a new one. I would not advise starting a new layout from scratch, but rather use one of the existing layouts as a template (Basic Contact 1024x768 for example). Before creating a new layout, try these options first:

- Remove the Contact field from your layout, save the changes, the re-add the Contact field. Instructions for managing layouts are in KB Article 15332.

- If this is a problem that just started, then you may be able to recover an earlier version of your layout from an existing backup of your database that was made before the problem started to occur. To do this you would restore the backup using the "Restore As" option. Once the database has been restored, you can copy the version of your layout from the restored copy to your current database files. The instructions for doing this are in KB Article 14427.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks again Greig but I figured out an easier solution. I just deleted the contact field in that particular layout and created a new one and that fixed the problem.

Excellent...glad to hear you got it fixed!

Greig Hollister