Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sql 2005 Enterprise version with v10 st?

Sql 2005 Enterprise version with v10 st?

Have sql 2005 Enterprise sp2, How do we add act as another instance? seems act v10st wants to install sql 2005 standard? the server is also used as a terminal server, any ideas? We have 20 users that hit the database, 7 on the terminal which has the sql 2005 enterprise on it, 5 using desktops by t-1 wan access, 8 inside lan on desktops.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sql 2005 Enterprise version with v10 st?

it looks like it has installed act using sql express, when i open up ms sql server managment studio i cannot find act instance (act7). seems act wants to use sql standard not enterprise.

Sorry, I misread your post.

Premium ST only uses SQL 2005 Standard
Permium EX and retail ACT! use SQL Server Express

I don't think it will connect to Enterprise... at least I've not tried it

act support did not know.......i guess i can load databse on a different box and point all users to this machine.

Is it not possible to have SQL Enterprise and SQL Standard on the same machine?

With Enterprise costing about $25K for a single processor, you can see not many of ACT!'s target market would justify this :-)

If you're running ST, you're probably planning quite a few users and/or a large database.

The per/user investment of a dedicated machine is usually worth it
Copper Super Contributor

With version 10.x, ACT! (non-Premium) will connect to SQL Server Express Edition.

ACT! Premium (EX/ST) will connect to any edition (include Enterprise) of SQL Server 2005.  You can follow the KB Article referenced earlier to install and configure correctly.  ACT! Premium ST is priced to include licenses (CALs) to connect with SQL Standard Edition and the install on CD2.

ACT! Premium 9.x did not allow Premium EX to connect to anything other than SQL Express Edition.  This curtailment was removed in ACT! 10.x.

Hope that helps.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

I got it to work on the machine with enterprise temporary. I just loaded the Express version on a new drive an installed the act on this. Tested all weekend seems to be running fine. Next weekend we will transfer to a different sever and load the standard version of sql.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bill wrote:
With version 10.x, ACT! (non-Premium) will connect to SQL Server Express Edition.

ACT! Premium (EX/ST) will connect to any edition (include Enterprise) of SQL Server 2005.  You can follow the KB Article referenced earlier to install and configure correctly.  ACT! Premium ST is priced to include licenses (CALs) to connect with SQL Standard Edition and the install on CD2.

ACT! Premium 9.x did not allow Premium EX to connect to anything other than SQL Express Edition.  This curtailment was removed in ACT! 10.x.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, Bill. It's good to know.