Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Spouse & labels/letters

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Spouse & labels/letters

I am trying to print labels and I want to include both the contact and the Spouse.  I have customized a label to include the Spouse; however, if there is not a Spouse, then it leaves a blank space (Example: John           Smith).

I can get the labels to print properly if I want to change ALL the salutions to something like (John Smith) or (John & Jane Smith), but then if I write a letter it will say dear John Smith, rather than Dear John.

Is there a good way to do this in ACT?  Or, do I need to figure out how to get Micosoft Office mail merge to check for and not include blank spaces?

ACT is a contact manager, so I am sure there has to be a good way to include the Spouse.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author PACKIT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Spouse & labels/letters

You need to use VB scripting in the label template to deal with a conditional situation like that. I already created custom label templates that would correctly print the names for all the conditions where there was no spouse, where the contact and spouse had the same last name and when the contact and spouse used different last names, I even included a runtime override so that you could specifically select either the contact or the spouse to print on the label.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author PACKIT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

You need to use VB scripting in the label template to deal with a conditional situation like that. I already created custom label templates that would correctly print the names for all the conditions where there was no spouse, where the contact and spouse had the same last name and when the contact and spouse used different last names, I even included a runtime override so that you could specifically select either the contact or the spouse to print on the label.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Are these templates that allow the spouse's name to appear in ACT?  If not how does the conditional VB scripting work so spouse's name can be added to labels?