Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Splitting an ACT! database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Splitting an ACT! database

We run ACT! 2008 with a server-hosted main database and a mix of desktop and laptop users, the laptop users having their own remote database synchronised to the server.  We're up above 6,000 contacts now with lots of full email attachments - around 260Mbyte in the .adf file and 3Gb in the attachments folder.

For business reasons, we need to split the database into two, for use by different sides of our international business.  It is not appropriate to use any method involving sync sets or private flags.  There may be a small overlap in contacts - ie some might be needed by both sides of the business.  The split will be permanent with no need to keep the 'other side' synchronised.

I was looking for advice as to the best way to do this.   I could either use groups or contract record fields to identify the records I want separated, I'm just not sure about the mechanics that should follow.  I want the email attachments to follow into the appropriate database - and specifically to be absent from the other database.  I recognise (I think) that the users of the database should remain in both (made inactive where appropriate) to avoid losing history information.  Should I copy the database and strip out the unwanted stuff from each, or is there a better way?  As a matter of interest, one of the new sub-databases will then be operated by one person - so should I aim to put that new database on her PC (how??) or should it still reside on the server?

Any help or experience would be most gratefully received.

Andy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Splitting an ACT! database

1. Yes. Inactive users don't take up a license, so that's fine.

2. The history will only be kept in-tact if you take this step

3. Run maintenance on the database after deleting the records.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

It appears that you are using ACT! 2008 and not ACT! 2008 Premium. The advantage of the Premium version is that you would be able to effectively split the records based on Teams or Individuals, commonly called Access Control List or ACL. You will find this feature in the Contact Info tab in ACT! Premium. This is not a feature of ACT! 2008 (non-premium) so this option would require you to cross-grade i.e.within the same version, to ACT! 2008! Premium or upgrade to ACT! 2009 Premium. It seems like email is important to the business and that may influence your choice to go to ACT! 2009 Premium which has additional user email management features than does version 2008.

Having said that and if you want to remain with ACT! 2008 then you will need to split the databse as you suggest. Because there are records of common interest to both then possibly the best way is to flag the records that will go to create a new database and then just create a copy of the existing database and delete the unwanted records in both when done. Note that creating a copy of a database does not retain sync settings in the copy of the database.

My choice would be to go to Premium to give best flexibilty and limit the maintenance to one database however if the split off database is just going to be for one person then that should be fine. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Backup the database first and do a test restore (restore as) to be sure you have a good backup

Create a new database - File | Save Copy As | Save Empty Copy.

In the current database, Lookup the My Records of the users of the new database and export them to the new database

Open the new Database. Tools | Manager Users - define the users and link them to their My Records

Open the first database. Lookup the records you wantin the new database and export them. Then delete them from the current database

Copper Contributor

Mike, Thank you very much.  Your answer looks spot on.  (Graeme - I DO have ACT Premium, but I am keen to physically split the database for future security reasons, as well as to reduce the size of each database).

Mike, There was just a few questions that resulted from your explanation....

1) because of the way we have been working there will be many records associated with a contact which will need to be retained by the new database which WON'T have the record-creator as a future user of that database.  So I guess I'll just make those users inactive to keep the history information.  Does that work OK?  The split will be on the basis of Companies (for which I will create a lookup based on the Contact Company field).

2) I wasn't quite sure what you meant about defining users in the new database (not having tried this create new database before).  Are there NO defined users until you take this step?  Is all the history created by past users, and associated with exported contacts, intact?

3) I can well believe that the new database will be smaller and will only contain the records I need.  I just wanted to be sure - after the deletion of unwanted contacts in the original database, will this database be then completely clean of such information?  I particularly want to be sure that the database-files directory is cleansed of emails and other attachments to those deleted contacts - for both security and size reasons.

Andy

Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

1. Yes. Inactive users don't take up a license, so that's fine.

2. The history will only be kept in-tact if you take this step

3. Run maintenance on the database after deleting the records.

Copper Contributor

Mike, Thank you! Much appreciated!

Andy