Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Speed Increase Moving Frrom Standard 2009 to Premium 2011?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Speed Increase Moving Frrom Standard 2009 to Premium 2011?

Hello;

We have about 20K contacts in our 2009 Act! database.  It takes about 6 seconds to switch from contact view to company view, I assume because its rebuilding the company index once it enters the view?  The database is running on mid range (Dell) business notebooks with remote sync.  Also had some compatibility issues with Office 2007, got it to work but used ackward work arounds.

My question is, will we see an increase in speed (dabase and contact/company view switching)  if we upgrade to Premium 2011?  And is there better/tighter/more reliable Office Integration in the new premium version v. 2009 as well?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jecarroll7
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Speed Increase Moving Frrom Standard 2009 to Premium 2011?

ACT! 2011 is faster than 2009 and also has proper Office 2007 or 2010 integration (which 2009 didn't)

Useful to note: The biggest factors with SQL speed is RAM (I usually recommend 2GB or better) and HDD speed (in rpm). Many low-end laptops have 4600 or 5400 rpm drives and SQL is best on 7200 or better

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

My experience is that you would definately benefit from the upgrade in both areas. One of the biggest questions though is how much RAM on these machine as more is always better especially with SQL

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jecarroll7
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

ACT! 2011 is faster than 2009 and also has proper Office 2007 or 2010 integration (which 2009 didn't)

Useful to note: The biggest factors with SQL speed is RAM (I usually recommend 2GB or better) and HDD speed (in rpm). Many low-end laptops have 4600 or 5400 rpm drives and SQL is best on 7200 or better

Appreciate the comments.

Ram was upgraded to 4GB, and HDD upgraded from 5400 to 7200 RPM. 

I didn't notice much of a difference in Act! 2009 speed post upgrade, but windows 07 startup time is at least 2x faster now.  Are there any OS settings I should try to optimise Act! speed?  Or just proceed with the upgrade?

Thanks.

I would like to report back I made the move to 2011 Premium from 2009 Act! and there was a marked improvement in speed when switching from contact to company screen.  With 20K contact records this helps.

However, it looks like they changed the groups tab on the contact screen to also include companies.  Therefore anytime I select the groups tab it appears to load into memory the entire company name database as well as all the groups.  This has really slowed down data entry and its rare that we will link companies together anyway.

My question - is there a way to disable this such that this feature to exclude the companies and limit the tab to just groups/subgroups?  If not, is there anyway to speed it up?  I am using Windows 7 and maxed out on ram.

Hope I'm making sense.  Thanks in advance.