Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Software uplift erroneously converted remote (client) database to a main database

Copper Contributor

Software uplift erroneously converted remote (client) database to a main database

After leaving our IT team to upgrade ACT due to the recent licensing issue, we are left with anomalies on a couple of our laptop-hosted remote databases:  We uplifted from v20 to v21 Update 4 on all machines and allowed their existing databases to update, rather than cutting new ones.  I didn't watch what the IT team did - and I'm wondering if they could have done something wrong:  Whilst most laptops are now working fine and their databases synching to a server-hosting main database, two are odd.  On inspection, it seems as if these are now opening as main databases, rather than remotes - the <create remote database> commend is enabled and the <set synch schedule> is disabled.

Has anyone experienced this or can suggest what might have been done wrong?  More importantly, can it easily be rectified such that synchronisation can be restored?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Software uplift erroneously converted remote (client) database to a main database

Not sure what they did wrong but you need to find out if there is "orphan" data on that DB that needs to be merged into the Master and then create and deploy a NEW Remote DB. Suggest you find a UK Act Certified Consultant

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Copper Contributor

Re: Software uplift erroneously converted remote (client) database to a main database

Thanks Bob,  I am ready to cut a new db if necessary, and am not worried about losing a few orphaned items.  But I'm really keen to know what would have caused this in the first place, to avoid it happening again. 

Silver Contributor

In the sync setup wizard for remote users it is all to easy to click the Disable Sync option not realising that this is a permeant change.  

My bet is this is what has happened with these 2 users by unaccustomed to ACT IT people.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

That's a good thought - and I didn't realise that that was a permanent switch (why does it then say enable/disable synchronisation in its description??).  I'm reluctant to test the theory in case I mess up my own remote database!

It's entirely possible that those two users were told to disable their synchronisation before the upgrade process started and chose that switch to do this.....