Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smartphone suggestions for 10,000 contact DB?

Loyal Listener

Smartphone suggestions for 10,000 contact DB?

I am looking for suggestions about mobile phones, contact applications on the phones, and syncing software/service.

I currently have about 10K contacts in an ACT 6 shared database that I am syncing with a Palm 750p using CompanionLink and USB. I am looking to upgrade ACT to 2011, Office to 2010 (with Exchange 2007), and the Palm to whatever. I would like to sync the ACT contacts and activities wirelessly to a new phone, but could live with a wired sync.

I would appreciate suggestions about phone/app/sync combinations that work realistically well with this number of contacts. Alternatively, what are reasonable maximum numbers of contacts to keep synced with a phone.

Thanks,

Joe M

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Smartphone suggestions for 10,000 contact DB?

Loyal Listener

Mike,

Thanks for the link to your study. I did not see anything about specific phones and specific numbers of contacts on them. Do you have any volumetric information?

I don't need 10K contacts except that I have not found a better way of getting the contacts that might be needed on the phone. Step two will be finding a better way of managing this. Step 1 is finding a setup that will handle current volumes if it exists.

The 10K originated from a HotSync limit. We managed the active database to this limit by archiving contacts that have had no contact within the last few years (date changed to produce the desired number of contacts). It has proved livable with ACT! 6, one Palm Treo, and CompanionLink. I have had bad experience with CompanionLink with the new smart phones and I am also concerned with having multiple phones (say 4-6) syncing to a shared database.

It is not great because the nature of the business (commercial real estate) is that prospects will be inactive for a long time before becoming ripe for a new sales effort. That new effort will often start with a contact from the prospect and the ability to know about the prospect while in the field is beneficial. I expect that we may be able to get a better handle on the needed set of contacts with ACT! 2011, but I need to know if there are setups that can handle the current volume first.

Thanks,

Joe M

It is possible to get up to 15,000 contacts in Handheld Contact - depending on the phone. But most phones don't like that volume of data and can become sluggish.

Far better is to do this dynamically... creating dynamic groups based on the criteria that defines an active contact. Of course, HHC automatically sends you any contacts that you might have an activity scheduled with irrespective of the groups it may be in.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Joe,

You have highlighted one of the disadvantages with synchronising data to mobile devices. A better solution is an online application running on a smart phone and you doing a lookup of the contact just as if you were on your desktop version of ACT!

Even if your database is 50,000 records you can pull the precise record(s)  you want based on a lookup or query.

No waiting for synchronisation and no need for thousands of records stored on the mobile device.

Right now we are developing a solution that will do just that and we will be demonstrating it running on Android at an upcoming ACT! Consultant conference in USA.  If you email me I can keep you informed of development progress.        

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

On-line applications are fine for those who can guarantee full access to the internet from where ever they are and are happy to pay the mobile internet charges that add up ... sadly this doesn't apply to very many people.

These kind of things tend to demonstrate really well but become a major annoyance in actual use
Bronze Elite Contributor

Mike,

Easy to dismiss something that you have no practical experience with and perpetuate the myth.

Reality is that access to internet is pervasive, perhaps not in the Australian outback but not a lot of the world's mobile users need to operate from there.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

The gold coast is not the outback. It's the fastest growing area in Australia and the largest tourist destination in the country.

Or, look at all the Americans on AT&T's forums complaining about poor mobile access.

Not to mention the inability to do any work on planes or in many buildings.

Or, will the lose work if moving between cell towers between saves?

Again, I do agree it's a very nice dream in theory...

We recently won a 150 seat deal from Salesforce purely because of the poor mobile access for their international travellers.
Loyal Listener

GLComputing wrote:
It is possible to get up to 15,000 contacts in Handheld Contact - depending on the phone. But most phones don't like that volume of data and can become sluggish.

"It is possible" really doesn't help me too much. Do you know of someone actually using 15,000 contacts? If so, what phone? If not 15,000, then how about 10,000? 5,000? 3,000? 1,000? Which specific phones and sync software are involved in real world success stories?

"But most phones don't like" again doesn't tell me much. Do you have information about what phone(s) do or don't get sluggish?

I thought that Handheld Contact Professional could only handle about 3,000 contacts. The basic version can handle more only because it used the phones' native contact databases. Did I read wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Joe M

joem845 wrote:

GLComputing wrote:

"It is possible" really doesn't help me too much. Do you know of someone actually using 15,000 contacts? If so, what phone? If not 15,000, then how about 10,000? 5,000? 3,000? 1,000? Which specific phones and sync software are involved in real world success stories?

"But most phones don't like" again doesn't tell me much. Do you have information about what phone(s) do or don't get sluggish?

I thought that Handheld Contact Professional could only handle about 3,000 contacts. The basic version can handle more only because it used the phones' native contact databases. Did I read wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Joe M

Handheld Contact Pro defaults to 3000 max on Blackberry and iPhone but 15,000 on Windows Mobile.,,,

The new versions for Blackberry/iPhone (due end of year) will significantly raise the defaults), but they can be raised by consultants very easily when needed.

I currently have 8500 on my iPhone and 5000 on my Blackberry with no problems at all and have a few users with 6000+ on Blackberry.