Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart task trigger Prior to Anchor date

Smart task trigger Prior to Anchor date

I am looking to set up a smart task that will send an email based on an anchor date one week prior to the anchor date. I know I can do this with an Activity Series but that will only remind me to send the email. I want to have the system send it out. I also know I can also send it out using the "on or before" option but here is the problem. I would like to set up three different emails at one week, two weeks and three weeks prior to the event anchor date. If a client registers for the event one week prior to the event, I don't want them to get all three emails at the same time. They should only get the last email.

I am looking for the same functionality as the anchorndate with the days until in the activity series but it needs to send the email.
Administrator

Re: Smart task trigger Prior to Anchor date

Hi bkinnard,

The feature you're looking for is the Time Delay step.

Simply set up your smart task to trigger on the anchor date, then you can add time delays into the Smart Task flow to add a delay on running the next action. The example flow when triggering from an anchor date would be: send an email now > wait 7 days > send another email > wait another 7 days > send the final email.

Act!_2017-05-03_13-16-07.png

Gary, thank you for the reply but that won't do it for me. The anchor date would be a fixed date such as the date of an event that a contact is registering for. He may register a week in advance, 2 weeks in advance or several months in advance. I want the smart task to send the emails leading up to the event. If I use the delay feature as suggested, and a client registers a week before the event, they would receive lead up emails even after the event has taken place. In other words, if I have a 1 week prior email, a 2 week prior email and a 4 week prior email, I don't want this client who registers one week prior to get the 2 week and 4 week out emails. Does this clarify my question?
Administrator

Hi bkinnard,

Yes, I understand the question better now.

One way to do this, would be creating a new field on your contact records to record whether or not they are attending the event (perhaps in a new tab). This could be a checkbox (yes/no) field for example.

You could then create a group of your event attendees, using dynamic criteria based on this checkbox being 'true'.

Now, it would be honestly easiest to send these 4 email blasts manually, once a week, and just select the same group each time. You don't want to schedule the send ahead of time, as the contacts within the group will likely have changed by the time the send is scheduled to occur, and the recipients contacts are decided at the time when you schedule the send.

Alternatively, if you absolutely could not manually trigger the 4 weekly sends, you could also create a date field next to this checkbox field on your Contact records, and set up 4 smart tasks, each to send the weekly email to those contacts with the checkbox value of 'true', and when the date is within the next X days of the date field. You'd also want to make sure you select "Run only once for any record". This method would require more work, and in my opinion, the effort to set this up, and the fact that you'd need to record the same event date in each contact, outweighs doing it manually once a week.

Sorry, there isn't really a perfect solution in this case.