Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Tasks question about Run only once

Copper Contributor

Smart Tasks question about Run only once

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the "Run only once" option in Smart Tasks.  Using the Birthday Reminder smart task that's setup as an example in Act! 2011, here's my question.  Wouldn't any one contact only get to have their birthday celebrated one year?

If a contact's birthday is within the next 7 days, let's say it ran once on Monday.  Tues it also matches but doesn't run because it already ran once on Monday.  Wed it also matches but doesn't run because it already ran on Tues., etc. 

What happens when next year rolls around and that same contact has a birthday within 7 days?  I would think it wouldn't run again because it already ran once (last year).  

Am I understanding the run once correctly?  Would I have to delete the Birthday Reminder smart task and recreate it once a year in order to get it to add birthdays for more than one year?  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Smart Tasks question about Run only once

Interesting ... I can't see anything in the docs that covers this. Or, if you wanted a monthly task and used "Day =" for a date field.

Might try that and see what happens next month :-)

That doesn't work unless you are in ACT every single day (weekends included), as Smart Tasks won't run without the user being logged in.

Which means that anyone who's birthday happens to be "Day=" away on a weekend wouldn't be celebrated either.

I have to assume that is why Sage made the 7 day window, but Run Once does seem to be an under developed concept.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I haven't really played with Smart Tasks ... must find time to do it.

Also what if you have a numeric field and a task to do something if the number is >10
Will Run Once pick the contact every day or only the first day?
If only the first day that it's >10, what if the number changes?

At very least, the docs need more detail
Copper Super Contributor

Hi all,

This is solved in the latest version of Sage ACT! 2013 if you run Smart Tasks Offline. It's located under the tools menu. Be careful with any steps involving Sage eMarketing steps though as these will only run when the user is logged into ACT!

Please also note that Sage eMarketing steps prompt you to press OK once each matching contact blast is send, so if you are planning on using this and it matches 100 contacts in the Smart Task criteria, then your user will have to click on OK 100 times! ...I know right...silly....I've contacted both Sage and Swiftpage (who are set to be the new owners of ACT!) and neither will take responsibility for this blatant design floor.

Swiftpage have everything to gain from enabling Smart Tasks to run without giving a prompt for each and every contact you "auto-send" to. It means more sends per day and potentially more revenue. Not to mentioned making this feature an attractive selling point for new and existing ACT! users and those who don't currently use Swiftpage/Sage eMarketing for email blasts.

My 2 cents....

Kind regards,

Matthew Wild
Act! Certified Consultant

Act Today Pty Ltd | 0755 712 344 | 0434048190 | matthew@acttoday.com.au | www.acttoday.com.au
Gold Coast