Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Tasks - Pending Dialog box

Copper Contributor

Smart Tasks - Pending Dialog box

I have a Smart Task that runs "automatically" at 5:00 each day.  I manually executed "run" on this task on Friday & yesterday.  It did what it was supposed to do, yet the Show Pending Smart Task Steps Dialog box shows a status of "In Progress" for these records.  What??!!

Also, if I have to continue to manually execute the tasks & continue to manage each step, doesn't that defeat the purpose of Smart Tasks?  What am I missing here?!

I hope someone can answer.

Jillian

Copper Contributor

Re: Smart Tasks - Pending Dialog box

Is anyone out there?  This is the second post I've had on this topic with no reply.  Seems like it should be relatively simple... 

Jillian

Platinum Super Contributor

Does the Smart Task have a step that includes creating an activity?  If yes, the ST will remain in progress until the activity is cleared.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

Yes, it's scheduled to run automatically and it has already created the Activity, but it still shows "In progress".  Why? 

Also, is there any way to get rid of this manual step which requires that I "run" the task?  I swear I could have performed the task 20 times over in the time I spent messing with "running" automated tasks.

Platinum Super Contributor

The task will remain in progress until the activity is cleared. This is by design for triggering additional steps.

If you have edited the ST, be sure to disable the 'auto-run' option, then re-enable it.

Also, since you mention 5pm - if you are not signed into the database at 5pm, the ST will not run. It can only run if the user that set up the task is signed into the database at the scheduled time.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

There's no problem with the steps ST performs.  It runs at 5pm every day (although I have now disabled it) and I am here & logged in at that time.  Until these problems are resolved, I am backing to doing it manually (!). 

There are now additional problems since I posted my original question.

1.  What do you mean by "clear" an Activity?  The ST has run, the Activity has been created on it is in the ACT record.  What is still "In Progress"??

2.  NEW ISSUE:  When I try to open Show Pending Smart Task Steps Dialog, nothing happens.  The box doesn't open or appear.  I can open View Status of Smart Tasks but I can't view the pending steps. 

3. I only have one ST Template, "Send Thank You."  Where are the other templates?  When I searched on this, I found someone with the same question last May but no answer. 

Copper Contributor

You are fortunate to have received a reply from the moderator, did not receive a response to my ST questions from the moderator (or anyone else for that matter). I have concluded that few people are using it and although it has a lot of potential it is limited to the point of almost being more trouble to implement than it's worth.

I am using it to a limited degree and am hoping that both Act! and the moderators will invest more what I think is the best potentially time saving feature that Act! has introduced in a long time.

I have the same issue with not being able to view the pending tasks and think it is software design problem. The only way I found to temporarily resolve this is to open Windows Task Manager and click on Pending Smart Tasks on the list to bring it to the foreground of your desktop.

Good to know that there are people out there paying attention to ST and writing in about it.

Copper Contributor

davidb --

Thanks for your response.  Apparently, you are right and few people are using this feature.  At the moment, I've stopped using it, as it was taking up too much of my time to manage all the problems and steps.  It's too bad -- like you, it has a lot of potential, but....

Just tried manually running a ST and trying your workaround thru the Task Manager and that didn't work.  What DID finally work was to select Maximize thru the Task Manager.  Whew! 

Do you understand what Greg was talking about when he said "clear" the Activity?  Because I'm still not understanding why a task that has been run and completed has a status of "In Progress"....What am I missing?   I know if I CANCEL the "In Progress" Status of a task, it removes the task (in this case a TO-DO) from the ACT record. 

Thanks! 

Copper Contributor

I spent a long, long time designing a follow up system using ST, that works despite the serious limitation of ST. In my opinion few including tech support understand how to implement this feature although they know how it works and are aware the limitations and design flaws.

With regards to your question. A ST remains "In Progress" for a contact until all the steps for the contact  are completed. Also, try to refresh the In Progress Status by closing the Status window and then opening it again.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Guys,

I am also one of those struggling with smart tasks in a number of ways but to my understanding...

I think what Greg means Jillian is that you have asked Act via a smart task step to schedule an activity which could be a "todo/Call/send letter/..." etc (whatever is on your activity's list).  The smart task remains pending until you have gone into the activitys box and confirmed that whatever activity step you have set up has been completed and there ticked off (metaphorically) as a step in the smart task.  I hope this helps regarding the "cleared activity" anyway.

Greg..if I have got it wrong could you please point out which bit cos it would enlighten us all! thanks

I agree there seems to be very few "experts" on the system willing to help and it is very under-used because everyone gives up when they cant get their quesions answered.  I actually phoned an american Act Emarketing "guru" (I am in the UK) to ask how much it would be for them to dial in an look at my smart task. If I remember correctly £120 an hour!

Would be very helpful to me if I could just get it to work properly.  There is a difference between setting up a task from a tech point of view and then dealing with an industry modified database.  We need access to more Act emarketing/smart task consultants.