Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Task problem

Smart Task problem

Good afternoon,

I am currently using ACT! Premium 2012, which is hosted on a server. I am trying to create a smart task (to be manually ran). However, after the first step is cleared and completed, I do a time delay. After the time delay should be complete, it does not move the contact to to the next step nor does it show any pending tasks in the pending smart tasks box.

Example of smart task I am trying to run.

Step 1: Send Introduction letter

Step 2: Wait 7 days

Step 3: Introduction follow-up call

Step 4: Wait 14 days

Step 5: Send Email Tip 1 ( I have swiftpage e-marketing).

Step 6: ... so on...

Astute Commentator

Re: Smart Task problem

Have you tested your Smart Task on a smaller scale?... Like instead of waiting 7 days and 14 days, set it to 7 minutes and 14 minutes. Does it work then? I just wonder if the combination of a manually run Smart Task and the wait time being over several days is the issue. Every time you log out of ACT, the smart task might be getting cancelled. In ACT 2013 we can have smart tasks run offline, although Im not sure just how well it works. Does ACT 2012 have that ability? To turn it on, its in the Tools menu> Setup offline smart tasks. You might have to be signed in as an administrator to see that in the menu.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.I've tried testing it with 1 minute increments for the wait period - still nothing! I'm not able to find the setup offline smart tasks (i'm an administrator). 

I'm not sure what to do!! 

Astute Commentator

If you have changed the wait intervals to 1 minute and are still not getting results, then there must be something weird with the Smart Task itself. Does the task work if you take the two time delay steps out? You'll need to narrow down where the bottleneck is happening.

No it doesn't work, the only step that works is the first step.

Astute Commentator

Ok. So what is that first step exactly? Is it a reminder to send the letter? I assume you created a "To-do" activity or something to do that. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Astute Commentator

Ok so if i understand correctly, you run this smart task, the first step completes, and you see a bunch of entries on your calendar to send out the intro letter... and then nothing happens after that.

I would look at the next activity you have scheduled then... the reminder for the followup call. Compare that activity to the one that is working. Is all of the important info the same when you compare the two windows? The "Automatically schedule activity without prompting" should be checked, and both the "Schedule with" and "Schedule For" fields should be the same between the two activities. I'd also change it to public if you have it set for private. If thats all the same, change the Activity Type to match the first step... If the first step is a "to-do", make this one a "to-do", and see if you get any data from that step.

Astute Commentator

Ok I think I might be seeing the same thing you are.

It appears that when you run a smart task manually like this, each activity in the smart task needs to be cleared before the task advances to the next step. So... run your smart task and let it complete the first step. Go to your calendar, right click on one of those to-do reminders, and select Clear Activity. Once you've done that, the smart task should forward itself to the next step.

First off - Thank you for trying to help me, it is greatly greatly appreciated!

Okay –

I tried both of your suggestions. This is what happened.

I’m testing this with a single contact with a test smart task I created.  I made a 2 step smart task (without a time delay). The first task, (To-Do task) ran and scheduled correctly. I made sure that the task was cleared and marked complete. The second task (everything set up exactly the same as the first task (still a To-Do task) ) did not run or schedule anything.

Any more ideas?