Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow to launch, then Not Responding message, then The SQL Database Connection

Accepted Solution Solved
cb6
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Slow to launch, then Not Responding message, then The SQL Database Connection

We recently installed a dedicated server at our office and had to reinstall ACT! Premium 2012 on our 6 work stations (running Windows 7).

We can't get ACT! to work on 3 computers (but that's for a different topic). On the three computers that it does work, it takes a very long time to launch (45 seconds), then says, "Not Responding", then "The SQL Database Command timed out":

not_responding.JPG

SQL_database_timed_out.JPG

When I close that window and click OK, I am able to choose the correct database and launch the program successfully.

Why would our computers be taking so long go launch ACT!? Before we had the new dedicated server installed ACT would start in a matter of seconds, smooth as butter.  Could it be something with the way the computers are networked to the new server?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cb6
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
cb6
Copper Contributor

Re: Slow to launch, then Not Responding message, then The SQL Database Connection

I broke down and paid for support to have this problem fixed.

It turns out that port exceptions needed to be added to the "Server" computer using Windows Firewall with Advanced Features.

A support article breaks it down step by step in the second part of  Answer ID 19420.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author cb6
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
cb6
Copper Contributor

Re: Slow to launch, then Not Responding message, then The SQL Database Connection

I broke down and paid for support to have this problem fixed.

It turns out that port exceptions needed to be added to the "Server" computer using Windows Firewall with Advanced Features.

A support article breaks it down step by step in the second part of  Answer ID 19420.