Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow performance after upgrading from ACT 2008 to ACT 2011

Copper Contributor

Slow performance after upgrading from ACT 2008 to ACT 2011

One of my clients is using ACT Premium, and has just recently upgraded from the 2008 version to 2011.  All the users are complaining that the performance is much worse than it was with the previous version.  Are there any known performance issues with 2011?  Any tips on tracking down the root cause?

Copper Contributor

Re: Slow performance after upgrading from ACT 2008 to ACT 2011

The most notable difference would be that 2011 uses SQL 2008 where previous versions use SQL 2005. Make sure the client installed the full version of SQL and attached the database to it or the system will not utilize enough resources for good performance. 

Here's a walkthrough: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2522...

Check out this page for some good info: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/which-ms-sql-versions-should-you-use.html

Copper Contributor

This client has the ACT database installed on a separate server from the client workstations.  They went from using SQL 2005 Express with ACT 2008 to SQL 2008 Express.  With only 4 workstations actively using the database, moving up the standard edition seems a bit of an overkill, perhaps.

The biggest complaints are around creating tasks, changing the dates on tasks, or marking tasks as complete -- sometimes taking several minutes to complete!

Copper Contributor

We have noticed slowness with Tasks also since version 2009, but not back when we were using 2008. It's the same right now in the 2010 version we are using as well. I think the tasks were just poorly designed. I know that doen't help solve your problem, but I wanted to chime in because this is an issue that needs to be fixed.