10-01-2019 10:09 AM - edited 10-09-2019 10:09 AM
Hi, I'm having Act issues with only one user, that I'm trying to troubleshoot.
- Version of Act! you are using:
On Windows 10 workstations: Act Premium 126.96.36.199, Update 4
On Windows 2016 Server: Act Premium Web 188.8.131.52, Update 4
- If the issue involves Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word , Excel), state the version of Office you are using
Doesn't involve Office
- Is your database on your local machine (private database) or is it being shared from a server (shared database)?
Shared from a server.
- Operating system you have Act! installed on (i.e., Windows 7, Windows 8)
Windows 10 on the workstations. Windows Server 2016 on the Act server.
- As much detail regarding the question or issue as you can provide:
We have one person who is experiencing extremely long load times when loading the act database. Here is a screenshot below. While this is happening, RAM, hard drive, and CPU are not maxed, but practically at idle. The program hangs for even a full 3-4 minutes and then eventually loads the database, showing the standard Contacts tab. The Act window shows "(not responding)" at the top. If you try to click out of the window, Act crashes. The puzzling thing is that when logging in as my own account on this same machine, Act behaves normally. It seems to be just this one Windows user profile having the issue.
Thanks for your help!
10-02-2019 01:48 AM
Have you tried logging on as the problem user on a different machine to see if it's still slow? If it is I would look at the number of open activities they have as having a lot of activities that are still in progress and you get the alarms coming up eventually.
10-04-2019 07:05 AM
I was able to try a few more things.
1. I timed the long loading time and it is a full 3-5 minutes of waiting, and it will reliably load after that time as long as you don't touch it or click out of the window which will crash the program.
2. While the long loading is happening CPU is 5% utilized, RAM is about 40% utilized, and Disk is about 30% utilized.
3. Logging in as this user's Windows login on the problem computer and MY ACT login takes the same 3-5 minutes.
4. Logging in as this user's Windows login and ACT login on a different computer loads in the normal time, a few seconds.
5. Logging in as my Windows login and ACT login on the problem computer loads in the normal time, a few seconds.
So, my conclusion is there is something about this user account on this computer that is not cooperating with ACT. Are there any known issues between ACT and other applications. What should I try?
10-04-2019 01:48 PM - edited 10-07-2019 08:17 AM
EDITED TO FIX A TYPO:
I am a domain admin. The user with the slow loading is a standard domain user, not a domain admin. Although loading is fast when they log in with their non-admin account on a different computer.
Thanks for your help!
10-07-2019 08:31 AM
If you logon via a different windows account on that machine does it load OK, if it does I would delete the act! preferences on the winows profile that is slow to load up.
Close act! and any other open applications, start up task manager stop any processes for act! and then type in the run command %appdata% and then go to Roaming\ACT and rename the "ACT Data" folder to "ACT DataOLD " then start up act! and see if it then works OK. You will have to re-set the connection to the database and Outlook if set up.
10-15-2019 06:01 AM - edited 10-15-2019 06:02 AM
You might also try changing the startup view if still on Welcome to the Contacts view for that user in preferences.