12-09-2013 11:15 AM
A while back, we were experiencing 2 problems for an Act upgrade project. Due to aggressive time constraints, the development server was set up using trial version Act v16 Premium (web)
After logon, everything went very smoothly.
I tried logging into Chrome, Firefox, IE (from local server as well as one client machine), problem still exists. Using process elimination, firewall, network, proxy were eliminated. We were using the trial version with more than recommended system requirements. By using process elimination,firewall, CPU and network and proxy were removed. After much work, I was able to find out where the delay was.
For problem #1,( reference “MicheleWithProtexis.PML or csv file” ) when web client requests the initial ACT login URL:
1. The worker process executes immediately in milliseconds starting at 12:16:14.59 AM , runs a number of w3wp.exe events and closes file C:\Program Files …\Admin.xml) then waits for Protexis
2. Protexis license verification service kicks in and executes for a total of 10 secs (!!!), starting at 12:16:14.62 AM, executing a number of PsiService_2.exe events ending at 12:16:24.69 AM.
3. Right after step 2, the worker process comes back into play and starts loading the default pages. Page is rendered in milliseconds at ~ 12:16:25 AM
This explains my 10 second delay in problem #1.
For problem #2, (( reference “MicheleWithProtexisDB.PML or csv file” ) after the client arrives at the login site and enter credentials then hits “Logon”:
1. The worker process executes immediately in milliseconds (starting at 9:29:50.809 AM, runs a number of w3wp.exe events until closes file “C:\Program Files(x86)\ACT\Act for Web\PadFiles\Admin.xml”
2. Protexis license service kicks in and executes for a total of 15 secs, starting at 9:29:50.81 AM, executing a number of PsiService_2.exe events ending at 9:30:06.04 AM.
3. Right after worker process comes back into play, executes for a few millisecond from 9:30:06. AM to 9:30:06.63 AM
4. Protexis service kicks in again for another 2.5 secs starting at 9:30:06.64 AM 9:30:09.19AM
5. Worker process come back in at 9:30:09.19 AM and page is rendered at approximately 9:30:10 AM
This explains my 20 sec delay in problem #2
The issue was resolved after testing with a temporary license (provided by Act support).
To conclude, all the delays are being caused by Protexis license verification checks. ACT uses the Protexis service for copy protection.
Just thought I would share with you.
12-13-2013 02:39 PM
Thank you very much for the detail of information you gave us. I will store this information to attempt to supplement our knowledgebase with this information.
12-24-2015 07:13 AM
You are not alone either. It was posted in the forum somewhere that protexis was NOT going to be in v18. This is not so. V18 suffers from the same slow performance, along with a HOST of other bugs.