Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow Outlook Address Book Response Time

Tuned Listener

Slow Outlook Address Book Response Time

We just upgraded from Act! 2007 to Act! 2010 Premium for Web. When sending an email via Oulook it takes an unacceptably long time (45 seconds) for Outlook to pull up the Act! address book when we hit the "To" button in Outlook to search for the contact. Once the Act! address book pops up then all is good and we can search for the contact very quickly. Our Act! database contains approximately 8,000 email address' and we're using Outlook 2003. We are using Kaspersky 2009, however, I don't believe it is the culprit since I've run tests w/ it disabled yet the slow response continues. Can someone offer any suggestion on how to reduce the time it takes for the Act! address book to pop up. .
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Slow Outlook Address Book Response Time

It does need to send a lot of data to fill the address book.

Have you tried opening a web browser on the server? Is that any faster? How much?

Tuned Listener

Just to clarify, I'm not reffering to using Act! in the Web/ Browser but rather using the actual Act! client. I have been doing my tests on the server machine. Earlier today I cleaned out the bad/ wrong format email address' but it's still slow (about 45 seconds).
Tuned Listener

Bump....

Does anyone have any ideas here? This one issue could kill Act! for us as senior management has made it clear that they are not willing to live w/ this for much longer. Since my last post I have also discovered that there are additional issues w/ the link to Outlook. For example, when accepting an Outlook appointment Outlook crashes- every time. I've applied Hotfix 2 and behavior is the same (I believe Hotfix 2 did not address any Outlook issues).

Has our database size, 30,000 records, 8,000 email address', outgrown Act's capabilities? Is this an Act! issue, an Outlook issue, or a Kaspersky anti-virus issue?

Please help :-(

Platinum Elite Contributor

I suspect this is an Outlook issue.

I would make sure the AV isn't checking the ADF file.

You might set the default address book to the normal contacts and only switch to ACT! address book when you need it

Tuned Listener

I have determined that the AV is not causing the delay. Setting the default address book to Outlook is not a viable option since we use the Act! address book virtually 100% of the time.

ht1

Hello, 

We're having the same issue on our systems with outlook taking upto 50 seconds to populate ACT!'s address book. 

Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue, or prevent outlook from downloading all the contacts all at once and applying a filter?

Employee

It may be helpful to reduce the outlook data folder for better Outlook speed.  There is not a direct correlation with address book but every little of improvement helps.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Reduce-the-size-of-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-e4c6a4f1-...

Click the File tab.

Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.

On the Data Files tab, click the data file that you want to compact, and then click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab > Outlook Data File Settings.

In the Outlook Data File Settings dialog, click Compact Now and then click OK.

If you are not comfortable performing please contact an IT professional.  These steps are at user risk and not supported by Act!