Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Size of backups

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Size of backups

I usually back up to a 8gb flash drive, however when I back up I can now only save one back up as the back up is over 4gb, is this normal? 

This seems to be really large, especially when you consider I have less than 300 contacts and no attachments. 

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kate
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Size of backups

That does not sound normal.  While logged into the database, click on Help>About>Database Info and check the data and log sizes in the bottom left corner/section of the panel.  What are those sizes?  If they seem really huge, close ACT! and launch ActDiag (Start>Run>ActDiag.exe).  On the Databases panel, select the database your interested in.  Right click and choose Check Database, then try a Reindex.

Lastly, if the tranlog size is way too large, try Detach Database, then re-open the .ADF (database file) using ACT! again.  That may force things along to reclaim some space. 

Not really sure what the cause is without seeing it.  Also check the folders of the database files where Attachments, Templates, etc. are stored to ensure nothing there, also you can delete any files residing in the \Backup folder for the database (.BAK).

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kate
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

That does not sound normal.  While logged into the database, click on Help>About>Database Info and check the data and log sizes in the bottom left corner/section of the panel.  What are those sizes?  If they seem really huge, close ACT! and launch ActDiag (Start>Run>ActDiag.exe).  On the Databases panel, select the database your interested in.  Right click and choose Check Database, then try a Reindex.

Lastly, if the tranlog size is way too large, try Detach Database, then re-open the .ADF (database file) using ACT! again.  That may force things along to reclaim some space. 

Not really sure what the cause is without seeing it.  Also check the folders of the database files where Attachments, Templates, etc. are stored to ensure nothing there, also you can delete any files residing in the \Backup folder for the database (.BAK).

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Copper Contributor

Thanks Bill - have sorted it now.  There were some files in the backup folder - I think someone had been saving back ups in there which then added to the back up size if that makes sense.

Sorted now

Platinum Elite Contributor

As Bill said, check the Database folder - supplemental files, Backup folder and delete any files there.

If the backup fails, it leaves temp files there and then the next backup includes this in it's backup.

I really wish this folder was renamed "Backup Temp", and was excluded from backups