Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Single Contact linked to Multiple Companies

Single Contact linked to Multiple Companies

Reference ACT! Premium 2010 - Is there an add-on that would link a single contact to multiple companies capturing specific information like Title, Phone, Email of the contact at each Company? I can't find a way to do this without creating duplicate contact records...
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Single Contact linked to Multiple Companies

You can manually add a contact to multiple Companies... but this is mainly so you can view the Contact data (notes/histories, etc) for all the connected Contacts. This would allow you to track a Consultant that works with multiple Companies

To do this, select the Company, go to the Contacts tab and select Add/Remove Contacts

You can then see the Companies a Contact is linked to in the Groups/Companies tab

Or, as you seem to want, look at the Contacts tab of the Company record and use Options | Customise Columns - select the fields you want

For more info, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1388...

Many thanks Mike - The specific requirement is for contacts that have different titles at each Company - for eg. Ravi Lal is the Principal Consulant at INCON and the Director at Mercer Lal Limited and perhaps the Vice President of XYZ Company - how do we capture that Title and display it under the Companies Tab?

That's quite a complex task, involving creating a Titles table with links to Contacts/Companies and then creating the User Interface to display and edit the links

While it could be possible to do this with the ACT! SDK, it would be quite a bit of work.

Thanks Mike - is that a piece of work that you can quote for (ravi@incon.me.uk)? Do you know of any other CRM product that offers this functionality out of the box?

I'm not aware of any product that would do this out of the box.

Yes, it is something I could quote on... I'll touch base in a few days to discuss the options.

You should think about things like:

• How you want to enter and edit the data - drop downs, any automation, etc
  • How you want this displayed on both Contacts and Companies?
  • If you want to output the data (reports, etc) - what sort of output do you want?
  • How to select the data to include when doing merges (print, email, etc) or when doing reports?
  • Any security requiement (if used for a shared system)?
  • Any other functions ... include as much detail as possible

As you can see, there are a lot of scenarios that need to be considered to do it right

If you get this done, drop me a message care of: http://www.glcomputing.com.au/contact.php

Hello,

I was wondering, as I face the same challenge today, if you found a way to achieve linking a contact to multiple companies ?

Thanks in advance.

jsb.