Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Silent install won't register using si.txt

Silent install won't register using si.txt

Might have had this in the wrong place...

I'm new to ACT! and I'm trying to setup a deployment to multiple machines using the silent install script. The application installs without a problem, but when I open ACT! Premium for the first time I receive the error message I entered during the script creation, i.e., ACT! is not registering or recognizing the license key used in the sn="" section of the si.txt file. I've gone over the file a dozen times and it's the correct serial number. I've read through the KB titled "Cannot register to activate the Act! software" and have tried most of the fixes with the exception of reinstalling the Protexis service as I'm able to go through the normal registration process without a problem. I'm just trying to figure out why ACT! is having a problem applying the license number silently, but not manually.

Administrator

Re: Silent install won't register using si.txt

Hi There,

What version of Act are you trying to silently install?
Did you register the serial number on the machine where Act was first installed and where the script was created?

I'm trying to install ACT! Premium 18.0.501.0. Our license has been used to register a few copies that were manually installed for the initial setup of the database and user accounts. I can't quite remember if the computer I created the silent install script on had been registered or not, but I thought the license number just needed to be registered in general. I'll try installing ACT! clean, register it, and then create the silent install script and let you know how I make out.

Administrator

Sounds good.

For reference, here's the Knowledgebase article that details the silent install process for v17 and later: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37611

[ Edited ]

So here are the steps I took:

1. Uninstalled ACT! Premium from a test machine
  2. Deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT directory
  3. Deleted C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData\RegistrationData.xml
  4. Deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Protexis\Licenses\541786147
    (This was all to ensure I would go through the registration process cleanly)
  5. Restarted the machine
  6. Opened a cmd and ran <ACT Install Files>\ACTWG\setup.exe /r to create our own silent IS config file
  7. Went through a Custom install and didn't install SQL Server Express
  8. Install finished; opened ACT! as an admin and registered online successfully (see attachment with redacted serial number)
  9. Restarted ACT! as the message suggested to finish registration
  10. Ran the SilentInstall.exe from the ACT Install Files
  11. Went through prompts entering the serial number with hyphens as cautioned in KB28151 which touches upon the manual creation of an si.txt file
  12. Entered other information such as the share location (which doesn't have ACT! installed on it, not sure if this is my problem) and an error message
  13. Adjusted the SilentInst.bat file to reference the setup.iss file I created in Step 6
  14. Ran the batch file from the shared location and when I tried to open ACT! after the install I received the error message that was entered during the silent script creation, i.e., there was problem with the activation.

Well I created a share on the computer that had been registered, and then tried to install ACT! silently on another machine from that share and I still get the error message from the si.txt file.

I also have this problem when trying to install 18.1.103.0

Could there be a problem with our serial number?
Administrator

Perhaps, send me a Private Message with your serial and I'll check its validity.

Administrator

I can't see any problems with the serial.

I would suggest giving our support technicians a call on 866 873 2006, or speaking with your Act Certified Consultant, and working with them to go through the process as described in KB 37611.