Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Silent Install Problem -Help! Install Log: Result= -3

Silent Install Problem -Help! Install Log: Result= -3

[ Edited ]
Hi there,

I am trying to install ACT! 2008 Premium (ST Edition) using the silent .ISS method described in the thread below.  However, when I install the application using the .ISS file that was recorded, the installation fails towards the end.  In fact, I see the shortcuts get dropped, but then they disappear.  Unfortunately, the logging doesn't seem granular enough, and I am unable to tell where the install is failing.  Is there a way to enable verbose logging?  According to installshield information, -3 indicates a problem with the .ISS file, but I can't tell what the problem is.  I've tried recording several times, and the resulting .ISS is identical each time.

Answer ID: 21658

{link edited to fix scrolling issues}
Message Edited by Skaye on 04-01-2008 12:20 PM

Message Edited by Skaye on 04-01-2008 01:49 PM

Message Edited by tashina on 04-01-2008 05:44 PM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Silent Install Problem -Help! Install Log: Result= -3

I've been at this 11 years and I've never attempted Silent Installs.  I would like the experience so if you would like a little free help, I have some unpublished docs and I'd be up for a phone call to look at this with you. Email me via the website below.
-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net

I figured out the issue.  It was basically a syntax error on the command line.  The .ISS commands are VERY specific.  Let me know if you need help - it works great!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Glad you sorted it...  just for info, the other time I've seen a -3 before was when testing the install on a system that already had a version of ACT! installed.

Creating a response file can sometimes provide more info:
setup.exe -r