Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Silent Install Act! v16 Premium Without SQL Express And No Shortcuts Added To Desktop

Silent Install Act! v16 Premium Without SQL Express And No Shortcuts Added To Desktop

I am working on configuring Windows Deployment Services with MDT 2013 and I need to find out (if possible) how to perform a silent install of Act! v16 Premium as a Custom Install without SQL Express and with no desktop shortcuts being added to the desktop.  I also have an Excel spreadsheet of multiple Act! v16 license keys (various quantities purchased over the years) which it would be helpful to integrate into this silent install running through the MDT 2013 configuration.

Administrator

Re: Silent Install Act! v16 Premium Without SQL Express And No Shortcuts Added To Desktop

Hi Steve,

Installing without SQL is possible. You'll need to create your silent installation script by installing Act on a machine that doesn't have SQL already installed, so that you can select custom installation and deselect install SQL.

For installing the clients, just use the one serial number on all of them. The only installation that needs all the serials would be on the server. I'd recommend installing using the serial with the largest quantity. If the serial number fails to activate, give our support team a call, and explain the situation. They will be able to up the installation tolerance.

For reference, here's the Knowledgebase article on how to perform a silent install: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30327

Re: Silent Install Act! v16 Premium Without SQL Express And No Shortcuts Added To Desktop

I located the SilentInst.ini file in the SI folder and changed the Boolean settings to the desired, but I have a question about the serial number.  Below is the SilentInst.ini file contents:

[LocaleToInstall]
LocaleName=United States
LocaleFolder=US
LocaleNetSymbol=en-US

[LicenseAgreement]
Agree=TRUE

[CustomInstall]
Custom=TRUE

[SQLLESSInstall]
SQLLESS=TRUE

[UsersToInstall]
InstallFor=COMMON

[EmailSaveOption]
SaveEmail=TRUE

[IconOptions]
ShowOnDesktop=FALSE   
ShowOnQuickLaunch=FALSE
ShowSSPadOnDesktop=FALSE   
ShowSSPadOnQuickLaunch=FALSE

[EndOptions]
LaunchQuickStart=FALSE

So the question is where do I put the "sn=12345-ABCDE-67890-FGHIJ" and does it require a bracketed category of its own?

Administrator

Hi Steve,

The serial number information should be saved in a separate si.txt file, not in the .ini file.

Refer to steps under the heading Creating the Text File in the Knowledgebase article I linked to above.

The instructions appear to be slightly different on the older version of Act.  Can you please confirm that running the following will launch Setup.exe and use the SilentInst.ini and si.txt files for the configuration?  Below is the folder paths as well:

\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\setup.exe /s /f1"\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\SI\SilentInst.ini"

\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\ (Contains Setup.exe and Setup.ini)

\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\SI (Contains si.txt and SilentInst.ini)

si.txt has sn=(serial number here with hyphens and no parenthesis)

SilentInst.ini has what was posted in thread before.

I replaced internal domain structuring with ...

Administrator

Hi Steve,

You need to specify the .iss file you have created when running setup.exe, not the .ini file.
\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\setup.exe /s /f1"\\...\ACT! v16\Installer\SI\USISSConfig.iss" /f2"c:\installation_output.log"

Don't forget to enter an error message in the si.txt file on a new line under the serial.

Example: errorMsg=Please contact your administrator for assistance.

The KB article I posted is valid for Act 2013 and v16. The silent install process changed in v17 and later.