Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing database - ACT 2008 Prem EX

Sharing database - ACT 2008 Prem EX

We currently have ACT 2007 Prem Wkgp deployed to our sales and marketing team and they share their database on a dedicated server (realize it didn't have to be dedicated but that's how IT set it up).  We now have a new group of 5 users that want to get setup on ACT! and we will have to purchase the latest version, 2008.  We had to jump through hurdles with IT to get as far as we did with our 2007 deployment so anticipating that we'll have similiar issues for this small group. 

Since you can't have different versions of the software on the same server, what options do we have?  Outside of purchasing another server and/or making use of an existing one, are there other ways to share a database?  Share it from a user's desktop?  Pros/cons?  Designate one as master on user's desktop and have other users work with remote database and setup schedule to sync?

Appreciate any feedback! 
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing database - ACT 2008 Prem EX

Actually, ACT! 2007 is available for purchase through an ACT! Certified Consultant. The only thing that would force you to upgrade right now would be if any of the system would be using the Vista operating system or Office 2007. Otherwise you would simply install ACT! on the additional machines using the new serial number and the first time they logged into the database the additional licenses would be added to the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I didn't realize 2007 was still available as just posed that question to someone yesterday. . . .interesting.  Guess I didn't do my homework.  Being this new set of users would require their own database, I would just create another folder and share it out on the existing server, and point them to it, right?
Nickel Elite Contributor

That would work.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

As you can tell I haven't work with this much - getting thrown into it.  How would I control the security on the two separate databases?  I don't see anything within ACT that would assign a specific database to a user.  Would this be handled by server permissions?
Nickel Elite Contributor

In a multi-user database a user name and password controls who can open the database. You indicated these would be separate groups of users so there should be no conflict.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

sez141 wrote:
I didn't realize 2007 was still available as just posed that question to someone yesterday. . . .interesting.  Guess I didn't do my homework.  Being this new set of users would require their own database, I would just create another folder and share it out on the existing server, and point them to it, right?

No need to create a new folder... just File | New on the server and create the new database if you get the ACT! 2007 keys
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's always better to have a dedicated server

For 5 users, you could have the database on a user's workstation (make it the most powerful one) and have the other uses point directly to it.

Remember that the user with the database will need to know not to shutdown or reboot without telling people :-)