Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Several template files going missing

Astute Commentator

Several template files going missing

[ Edited ]

My RDB was recently created, and all the databases were updated to hotfix 6 on Premium 2011.   Some template files have disappeared on my rdb but visable on the parent and other rdb. I've synced several times, and the files are not going back to my rdb.  The other rdb user lost one template after the template was edited and saved.  After several syncs, she couldn't get that file back either. 

*When I edited a template, then previewed  it after I saved the file, it disppeared after I syncronized. I tried another template edit, then saved, then mail merged and it was still there. However, once I syncronized, the files disappeared. Other files are randomly disappearing that I haven't recently edited.

When I do a search for the file name, the path or shortcut is changed and I cant open it!

Any ideas? After my remote was recreated, I noticed the template files were changed to ADTS audio files, but they  are all changed back to the ADT extension. Thank you for any direction.

Judy
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Several template files going missing

Do you create folders within the template folder?  I've seen where having folders within the template folder can cause some of what you are seeing.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Astute Commentator

No, all the files are created in the parent template. I had to create new files and renaming through 'save as'  filenameNew. That has seemed to keep the new files from disappearing. I have quite a few to change. I do wish we could use subfolders in the template folder, but we also lost the files that way once we began to sync (last year or so).

Thank you. Judy

Judy
Copper Contributor

Me too!

I just started noticing this last Friday. I am not using folders either - all the templates are staroed in the ACT Template folder.

Now what is happening!!!

Copper Elite Contributor

Are you seeing the filename in the folder but it has a time/date(bunch of numbers) attached to it?

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Copper Contributor

No - the file is just deleted.

It is happenening daily.

Today I noticed the file on the RDB was deleted but the file on the server ws renamed. The file name was appended with xxx.adt.ehlm1oh.partial

Copper Contributor

UPDATE

For some reason this phenomenon just stopped happening.... The sync seems to be working fine again. I didn't change anything on the server or RDBs.

Weird...........

I am having the same problem.  I had several .adt Act template files the one day in file explorer, the file description started calling them ADT Audio with an audio icon at the front of the file.  I did get a mail merge to work by naming the file xyz.adt in the file name area when saving instead of just naming it   xyz    and letting the save as window automatically assign the  .adt. 

The issue is now, how do I change back all of my previously saved templates that do have the file name   abc.adt  (obviously the abc is generic) but ACT!, Word, etc all thinks ".adt" is an audio file?

This was more than likely a bug in either windows 7, ACT!, word, or Windows Media Player update that looked for all ADT files and universally assigned to them as audio files.  Please help.

Bronze Super Contributor

JJ - 

I think you are on the right track with your file extensions getting hijacked - this was not about ACT, but rather the audio program overwriting the Windows setting that told the system that adt files are "owned" by ACT...

I can't verify from here, but i would guess that even with the wrong default "open with" setting, ACT would still be able to open them...  Could be wrong but pretty sure...

In any case, right clicking a file and going into the properties you should be able to change the defaults...

Ok, between the 2 of us, I think that fixed it. I went into properties, then details, then clicked on type, then when that was highlighted in blue, clicked on "remove properties and personal information".  That opened up another window.  Click on "remove the following properties from this file:" then click on Type ADT File and OK.

When I then went into file explorer, all of the "music icon" on the left had been replaced with ACT shaking hands icon.  I will now try to do my mail merge, but all is looking more normal now.  Thanks.