Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Several ACT! 10 Complaints from users

Copper Contributor

Several ACT! 10 Complaints from users

After upgrading to ACT! 10, users have been complaining about some issues and I want to know what you guys think the problems are:

John Doe - ACT record. I updated the email address and clicked on the email icon but it did not attach into the ACT record so I had to copy/paste my email there.

Fabricated Company- new email did not attach even though I clicked on the email icon in ACT

Other computer issues: When I tried to open an old fax to use as a boilerplate for a new fax, I get a message saying unable to convert and forcing me to open the document in wordpad, after which I can then copy/paste the text into a new word document.

The same thing happens when I try to open other older word docs, they get converted to wordpad and I have to then copy/paste into a blank word document which I then save in Word.

The following ACT records contain emails I cannot access:

Jim Beam. I tried to open an email to Jim dated 2:25 9:40 AM to read it and got the following: A  flagged message cannot be marked completed

I also have the same problem when I create a new Prospective Explorer record, ie the information sheet is in wordpad and I have to copy/paste the text into word and save it again!

It happened again when I went to the network drive to access my General Information document, ie turned it into wordpad and I had to copy/paste into a MS word document and saved it over the old document

Also for Made Up Company when I opened the information sheet to enter info. had to copy/paste into a new word doc and save.

Any Ideas?  Any Help? 

Copper Contributor

Re: Several ACT! 10 Complaints from users

Well, i was out of the office when I got that email with all those complaints... I got back in today and fixed her Wordpad opening as default problem.  She must have clicked OPEN WITH and clicked the check bock to alwasy do that with that file type.  I went in and right clicked on a random DOC file and told it to use Word every time for that file type and she is back in business. 

I still have the other random problems with ACT! and mail though.Smiley Indifferent
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

A bunch of stupid stuff, like you really cant depend on ACT! attatching all the outbound emails to contact records when you send mail so you have to check, Never know when the link to the ACT! address book is going to get dropped and the user lose the ACT! icons in Outlook so they have to close and re-open ACT! and Outlook, sometimes it takes forever for information in ACT! to refresh... Stuff like that.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I can honestly say I've never seen issues like that on my system or any I've set up. I'm wondering if either there were issues during install or if it's running out of resources.

Not sure if you work with a Certified Consultant, but might be worth getting an expert to come over and have a look.

If you want to try that, let me know your state/city and I'll see if I know someone I'd trust to look at it for you.

In the meantime, with intermittant issues, I suggest creating a log in an Excel file in a shared location and posting each incident. Have the fields:

Date, Time, User, Machine, Problem, Exact Error Message, What the User was doing at the time, What else was running in Windows, anything else relevant.

Having a log like this makes it much easier for a support person to nail down a problem that might not happen when they are there.