Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Server crashed...now can't network ACT! 2009 Premium

Server crashed...now can't network ACT! 2009 Premium

Had a server crash that held a shared database.  The hard drive survived, but everything else did not.  I took the hard drive and put it to another server, installed ACT! on that machine - and it works fine.  But when I try to connect from another workstation, it does not open. 

The machine name changed -- and I read the post about keeping the machine names the same -- so I tried changing the name of the host machine, and attempted to connect again - and the same thing...cannot connect from a workstation that used to work.  All other file sharing functions work fine between the worstation and server -- just not able to open the ACT! database.  HELP!!!!!! 

Re: Server crashed...now can't network ACT! 2009 Premium

OK.. with the help of ACT! Tech support...we fixed this yesterday afternoon.

For future reference....the SQL Server is VERY particular about machine names and networking with other workstations - so the best way around this problem was to backup the database from the server, then do a "restore as" to another drive on the server - which seemed to give everything a fresh start. Reconnecting the workstations after that went just fine.

Now you know.