Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Server Error - Cannot listen on pipe name (Microsoft.NET Framework)

Server Error - Cannot listen on pipe name (Microsoft.NET Framework)

Hello,

Suddenly we are getting the below errors on the server:

Microsoft.NET Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit the application will close immediately.

Cannot listen on pipe name

net.pipe://localhost/ActOutlookSyncRemoteAccessService because another pipe endpoint is already listening on that name.

Also we see another error box:

Act.Outlook.sync has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

We are running ACT 2011 Premium, installed on our server (Server 2003).  No one uses ACT directly on the server but we have about 18 workstations accessing the database.  Users are in various stages of beginning to use Outlook with ACT.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this and if a server reboot is what I need to do or?

Thanks for any help,

Christine 

Silver Contributor

Re: Server Error - Cannot listen on pipe name (Microsoft.NET Framework)

Ok, i'm going on memory on these and maybe someone else can verify. Especially on the second one.  When you start a session on a server or workstaton, there are services that try to start when you loging.  One of these is the aCT.outlookservice   if it's already running because there is another session going or if the service is running, it will throw an error like this.  IT is just saying that it cant start the service. and it can't start the service because it's already running.  So no big deal on that one.  Actually, if you aren't using outlook integration on the service, or not using the server to actually log in and do work, you could disable that service and not loos anything.  The service needs to be running on the workstation that have ACT and outlook installed.

The first one, i'm not as sure about, but if memory serves me, (I tried to reproduce on our servers, but could not), I think it is related to the other one.

To check, make sure there are no other users logged into the server, log yourself out and log back in (assuring only one user is loggind in to the server) do you get both errors?.  Then log in to the server remotely as another user with the first user or session still going. Do you get the errors?  It might be hard to reproduce, but that's my theory.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider