Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Serious Database Issue

Serious Database Issue

[ Edited ]

I'm having an issue that I've not been able to find any information on...

When opening ACT! Premium a get the following message...

"The operation completed successfully" ... so I click "OK button", the message appears for a 2nd time... again, click the OK button. Once the message is removed the Toolbar at the top of the program is missing... i f I move my mouse where the toolbar should be a get one of many different error message (Overlapped I/O operation in progress, Element not found, The system cannot find the path specified, operation completed successfully, etc...)

I firmly believe that the database is corrupted... the reason I believe this is because I can use a backup of the same database (except 4 months old) and it works perfectly.

A little extra info that might help shed light on the issue... the is only effecting 5 employees, if I use any of their names when logging on, then it's nothing

but errors listed above, if I use someone other than those 5 it runs perfect.

I DON'T have a recent backup due to employee deleting the past 3 month’s backups... I can only assume this was done as a farewell gift as he knew he was about to be terminated.

I have tried all of the ACTDIAG "Check Dbase, REpair Dbase, Reindex Dbase, etc.." of course all that was done to a copy of the dbase so as not to worsen the already corrupted primary Dbase.

ANY insight to WHAT is going on with this dbase and how I might resolve it... would be GREAT appreciated!! 

Sicnerely

ITGUY

Message Edited by ITGUY on 08-24-2009 07:51 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Serious Database Issue

Just to clarify, you said this was happening when you logged in under 5 specific users. Are the users seeing the same thing on their machines as well?

If not, then toolbar issues can be caused by a damaged preferences files. One thing you can try is to browse to the following location on the affected machine: C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\ACT and delete the entire Act for Windows (version#) folder in there. If there are more than one such folder, delete those as well. Make sure that ACT! and all Microsoft Office applications are closed when you do this.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

Thanks for a speedy response. The problem is roaming... so regardless of which computer I use I get the same error...Just as long as I use one of the 5 that are currently being affected by this problem... I failed to mention that the problem started with 1 person... then 2, then 3 etc... of the 5, 4 of them are salesman... so I'm thinking it has to do with something they are accessing when logging on ???

I'm going to use your information and try deleting that folder from one of the computers in order to see if it helps.

Since I have a backup that's 4 months old, I'm going to also try and import it to my corrupted test Dbase in hope it will over write whatever is causing the error... any thoughts on that idea??

Thanks

ITGUY

That may help, but I would actually do it the other way around...import the problem database into the restored backup. This will tell you if the problem is actually the data itself.

Another option is the create an empty copy of the problem database (go to File/Save Copy As and choose "empty copy" option) and then import the data into there. You would need to recreate the users in the empty copy before importing, ensuring the contact name and username of the users match the ones in the problem database. This method has been known to correct database issues as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks again for the information.. I will try both methods, IF (and that's a huge "IF" LOL) I can get the issue resolved, I'll post detailed information about which process/method worked in resolving the issue.

At this point I'm ready to drop kick the server out a window  Smiley Very Happy but i'm sure that won't in any way aid in fixing the problem (though it would make me feel better)

ITGUY

Nickel Super Contributor

You might also want to check that those users don't have LOTS of recurring activitie with NO END DATE!

I've run into this issue and we created a new user (say, Rosie Jones2), and had this new user modify the recurring activities for Rosie Jones...solved the problem.  Once the activities have been taken care of, we can then log in again as Rosie Jones, and disable or delete Rosie Jones2.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Greig,

I decided while building the new database to try the ".... delete the entire Act for Windows (version#) folder in there".

This worked! BUT... once the program is closed and reopened.. BAM! right back to the same issue....

Any thoughts on why this is happening...

Thanks

ITGUY

OK... An update.

I've went through EVERY file that's in the "ACT\ACT for Windows 11" directory. I remove each file one by one (restoring them if the problem was resolved) and I found the file that is causing some (if not ALL the trouble). If I remove "CONNECTEDBARS259.ser" (which is located "ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Preferences) after every time the program is closed... It will open perfect every time (writing a new CONNECTEDBARS259.ser when opened).

Now that I know the file that's causing the problem... Any thoughts on what is causing this or how to resolve it permanently???

Thanks

ITGUY

The ConnectedBars file is your toolbar preference file. So either something in your database is corrupting the file or the default preferences file used to recreate this file is damaged. Try creating a new database (or using a database you are having no issues with), deleting the preferences file and then opening ACT!. If no issues, then the problem is most likely your database.

You can also replace the default preferences file that is located in the C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows...the file is name Preferences.xml. You can rename this files and then replace it with a new from your ACT! installation disk. On the disk it would be located in ACTWG\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir\US. Just copy this file from the disk to the Act for Windows directory. After this, you would again delete the entire Act for Windows (version#) folder, open ACT! and let a new preferences file be created.

Greig Hollister

[ Edited ]

OK... I'm getting closer and closer to this issue being resolved.

I replaced the preference.sml file from the install CD... I opened the program.. it opened fine the first time.. then failed the second time... I verified that the Connectedbars.ser file was the problem (deleted it, open program again... it worked).

So I believe I have proven to myself that the DBase is indeed causing the connectedbars.ser file to get corrupted, which is then causing the errors.

How can I find what/where in the database is corrupted?? The .ADF can be view via SQL Server, so I can go line by line looking for the error.

What are my options at this point?

EDIT**

also wanted to mention that one of the erros i'm getting is "NOT ENOUGH STORAGE TO PROCESS THIS COMMAND"  (this pops up when i open the program). I have TONS of storage space as this program runs on my server.

Message Edited by ITGUY on 08-24-2009 12:01 PM