Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sent Emails don't Automatically Attach to Contacts selected from ACT! Address Book - Premium v21

Copper Contributor

Sent Emails don't Automatically Attach to Contacts selected from ACT! Address Book - Premium v21

For the last few versions of ACT! Premium (v20 & v21), we've had an issue with emails automatically attaching to Contacts.  I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the Email System Setup settings, so don't think in that direction.  It's something different.  What I found is, the only time we can get Sent Emails to automatically attach to their contacts is when you can actually see the physical email address in the To, CC, or BCC fields.  If you call up an ACT! Contact from the ACT! Address Book, and that person's name populates the To, CC, or BCC field with the typical underline beneath it, that email will not attach to that contact.  If I send the same email to john.smith@whatever.com, that email will automatically attach to the Contact.  For the last couple years, we've had to dig through the body of the emails we're replying to, so we can copy and paste the Contact's physical email address into the Recipient fields, just so we know the email will be automatically attached to the Contact.  If I don't have their email address handy and I call them up from the ACT! Address Book, after I send them the email, I then have to go to my Sent Items and manually attach it.  This causes the History record to show as "E-mail Attachment" in the Result column, instead of what it should be, "E-mail Sent".  Can anyone else replicate this?  It would be nice to get this problem fixed.  Thanks.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Sent Emails don't Automatically Attach to Contacts selected from ACT! Address Book - Premium v21

Problem is known to me as well and ONLY exists under certain conditions with v21.0. Complicated solution.
Should be resolved with v21.1
If possible, update to 21.1.
Otherwise I could post my solution here, but that'll take some time as I will have to translate the stuff from German and I'm currently occupied with other urgent things.
Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Sent Emails don't Automatically Attach to Contacts selected from ACT! Address Book - Premium v21

Thank you for your reply.  I apologize for not providing the full revision #, which is 21.1.187.0, Update 3, released on 7/8/19.  We've been using v21.1 for approximately one month, and this is still an issue for us.  Thanks.

Nickel Super Contributor

Tried to send a private message. Went bust "max no of Messages reached".

No Attachments possible either Smiley Mad

Send me a PM with your direct email address, Il send you my Doc.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
Copper Contributor

Thank you for the PM.  Your message made it through to me.  I've changed my settings as you instructed and I sent an email to a new contact, but the email didn't automatically attach to the contact.  The only difference between what I had in my Address Book settings and what you had was that I had the Custom option selected, so I removed the ACT! Address Book from the lists box like you suggested and, while I was at it, I removed everything in the lists box.  Then I chose "Start with Global Address List" and made sure my .PAD file was still showing in the bottom drop-down.  I saved my settings, closed Outlook, reopened it, drafted the email and then sent it, but nothing showed up under the contact, and the Contact's email address matched the one on the email I sent.  I attached a snapshot of my Address Book settings for review.  And I verified that my Email System Setup settings were "E-mail Subject, message and all attachments" on Pg. 5 of 9 of the E-mail Setup Wizard, titled "E-mail - Record History of Sent Emails".  Thanks.

Copper Contributor

***SOLVED***  ACT! Support modified my Outlook add-ins as follows, which solved the problem:

I had Act.Office.Outlook.Addin in my Outlook add-ins, and I was missing the correct Outlook Add-in, "ACT! Outlook Addin", which points to mscoree.dll.  The technician used the command prompt to create the missing Outlook Add-in, then made the existing add-in inactive, and made the ACT! Outlook Add-in active. He also had to go back into a previous ACT! install folder (act!_premium_v21_sp0x295) and copy the 6 "Act.Outlook.Service..." files to my current install directory in the C:\Program File (x86) folder.  Once the correct add-in was in place and the correct Act.Outlook.Service files were copied over, everything worked as expected.  I attached an image of the Add-ins Window to show which add-ins I'm talking about.

Nickel Super Contributor

Quite a "strange" solution as the support guy has basically reactivated the old legacy stuff which is supposed to be replaced by the "newer" VSTO add-in since v20.1. Nevertheless I'll keep this in mind.
Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany