Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Send Invitation e-mail - not working requiring ACT shutdown and restart

Copper Contributor

Send Invitation e-mail - not working requiring ACT shutdown and restart

Date: 06/26/2017

Environment:

• ACT! - Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 1
  • Windows 10 - 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)

Issue: When selecting "Send invitation e-mail" under Schedule Activity, the a Creating Outlook Invitation window appears, as depicted in the attached screen shot. 

Observations:

1. After 20 minutes this morning, the invitation e-mail has not been created in Outlook.
  2. This issue has persisted back to my ACT! v18 implementation in November, 2016.
  3. The ONLY way to get rid of the Creating Outlook Invitation window is to shut down ACT

This is the second functionality of ACT that I have documented in this Community requiring a shut down of ACT.

4. A cursory view of the knowledge base after searching "send invitation e-mail show that this issue dates to 2010.

Obviously, given that this issue dates back to 2010 and this issue continues to the present version, Swiftpage has not resolved this issue over multiple

version upgrades over the past 7 years.

QUESTION: What is the final resolution of this issue such that I can try to use ACT! rather than fix it?

Thank You

Administrator

Re: Send Invitation e-mail - not working requiring ACT shutdown and restart

Hi princeedwardh,

We'll need to perform a few troubleshooting steps first of all, as this particular error scenario does not match any of the current known issues we're tracking in this area.

Could you please:

• Check in Windows Event Viewer (Windows Logs > Application) and look for any errors that were logged at the time when you tried to create the invitation. Copy or take a screenshot of any to post here.
  • In Outlook, click on File > Office Account > About Outlook, and post the full build number of your installed version of Outlook.
Copper Contributor

First, many thanks for the fast response.

Second, you taught me something new today - Windows Logs.

I uploaded my Events Log.  Is this what you need?

Office Updates:

• This product will not be updated.
  • Current Channel
  • Version Version 1701 (Build 7766.2060)  

Is this what you need?

Many Thank Yous.

I am stuck again with this issue for about 20 minutes.  I have to shutdown ACT for the second time today.

Administrator

Hi princeedwardh,

I'm afraid the error log you've provided is a little too verbose for me to follow. Ideally could you please do the following:

1. Make a note of the time
  2. Create a new activity in Act!, and select to send an invitation in order to reproduce the error
  3. Wait for a minute for the dialog to try and complete
  4. Open Event Viewer and look for any errors or information that have occurred since the time you made a note of

Are there any events after this time? If so, take a quick screenshot of the General tab of each one.

Another couple of questions:

1. Does this issue occur every time you create an activity, or only sometimes?
  2. Are you running either Act! or Outlook as Administrator in Windows?
Copper Contributor

Will do.

This AM the Send Invitation e-mail functionality has worked well.  My observation is that this functionality ceases to function sporadically, but with sufficient consistency as to be highly problematic.

When the issue occurs again then I will provide the information that you request.

No, I do not run ACT or Outlook as an Administrator.  ACT is run as an Administrator only for the purpose of an Update.

Thank you for your help.  It is greatly appreciated, most sincerely.

Copper Contributor

Date: 08/05/2017

Environment Is:

• Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3
  • Windows 10
  • Click-to-Run Update Support - Successfully installed on 07/13/2017
  • 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342) - Successfully installed on 07/11/2017
  • Office 365 – Office Update - This product will not be updated.  Version 16.0.4229.1024

Issues:

I started this thread on 06/26/2017.  The issue persists.

Creating an ACT Activity with Send Invitation E-Mail to Outlook often times results in ACT getting hung up creating the Outlook invitation e-email with the ACT window showing that it is creating the email with the blue dots moving perpetually from left to right.  The only way to go back to work using ACT is to shut down ACT.

Erasing from ACT an Activity using Send Invitation E-Mail but the Outlook Calendar invitation had been previously deleted results in ACT launching the window: Deleting Outlook Invitation Finding Corresponding Outlook Invitation to delete…. with blue dots moving perpetually from left to right.  The only way to go back to work using ACT is to shut down ACT.

• Apparently ACT is not smart enough to realize that the User has deleted the Outlook calendar invitation.

My Situation:

I have identified any number of ACT issues, the sole resolution that I can determine is either:

• To shut down ACT; or,
  • To shut down the device

QUESTION:

Is the sole final resolution that Swiftpage hast to offer to us paying customers is either to shut down ACT or the device?

Hi,

This issue has popped up a few times and in cases different ways, it presently is an issue we are tracking with the newer builds of Outlook.

A workaround I have seen work is to ensure that Act and Outlook are connecting correctly by going to 'Write > Email message' making sure that Outlook opens a message. while I believe this has something to do with the NormalEmail.dotm template and recreating it may also help (renaming it to .old from this location: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates) it is still presently under investigation.

Copper Super Contributor

I've had this issue for several months.  Creating an activity and checking the 'send activity email' crashes ACT!.  Accepting an email activity from someone crashes Outlook.  It's highly annoying.

Hi spsearch,

Were you able to test the work around I provided in my previous post? If it does not work would you be able to provide on the Versions of Act! and Office

Copper Contributor

Should I be experiencing this issue in this environment, an environment previously certified to me by Swiftpage as the environment to use, having spend hours and hours resolving another issue:

Environment Is:

• Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3
  • Windows 10
  • Click-to-Run Update Support - Successfully installed on 07/13/2017
  • 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342) - Successfully installed on 07/11/2017
  • Office 365 – Office Update - This product will not be updated.  Version 16.0.4229.1024