Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Selecting Record Manager when Creating Opportunity through Quotewerks

Selecting Record Manager when Creating Opportunity through Quotewerks

We use quotewerks to build our quotations and link this with the ACT contact database. Our salesmen are what we would refer to as "Record Managers" and we have internal Technical sales engineers who create the quotes. Both the salesmen and sales engineers use act but only the sales engineers use quotewerks. 

When we log an opportunity through quotewerks, opportunity on ACT is saved with the record manager as the sales engineer. We want a way of locking out the record manager for the relating company/contact, so that the opportunity is always saved under that record manager, rather than the person logging the quote. I've been told this is not possible and that i would be better changing the record manager when generating the opportunity, however, the link between quotewerks and ACT doesn't give me the option (see below example):

quotewerks opportunity creation linkquotewerks opportunity creation link

I've played with the "Associate With:" option but this doesn't work the way i want it to and it gets a bit messy.

The only way we can do this, which is more messing around than necessary, is to go into ACT after logging every opportunity to change the record manager manually.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and any tips on how i might be able to get around it?

Cheers

James

Re: Selecting Record Manager when Creating Opportunity through Quotewerks

Hi James,

Matt Rose from Prestige Quoting here. UK reseller and QuoteWerks MVP.

What happens if you were to change the Sales Rep field in QuoteWerks to the appropriate record manager. Even thought the Sales Engineer is building the quote, if he/she puts it in the name of the Record Manager - does that set the correct field in the opportunity?

Is the record manager tied to the company/contact, or could you have multiple record managers for the same contact across multiple opportunities?

g.PNG

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response.

When we do quotes for our salesmen we set the Rep. on quotewerks as that salesman. This doesn't link with the record manager on ACT though. Unless there's some background trickery I can do on ACT to make this work?

With the way we use ACT, the record manager needs to be the same for the customer, contact and most of the opportunities (we do have one different record manager for opportunities that relate to spares parts rather than capex equipment but we don't mind changing that manually as it's not so frequent).

Anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

James

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi James,

We do a little development with Quotewerks along with our Act! and accounting integration developments and we do a link between Quotewerks and Xero accounting. I will take a look next week and see what we can do with that, probably Thursday.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Are you saying that whatever you set the Sales Rep as, in QuoteWerks, it always sets the Record Manager (in ACT!) to the Loggedin QuoteWerks user?

Hi Matt,

It doesn't do this. It links it to whoever is logged into ACT at the time. The QW user doesn't seem to have any interaction with ACT.

We must be logged into both ACT and QW (quotewerks), in order for it to link the contacts. The user has a login for ACT and one for QW, for example "Max" will use his login for ACT and QW to access and use the system. But Max isn't a salesman, which is what we would regard as a "Record Manager".

Our salesmen also have a login for ACT but not quotewerks. They will change the status of opportunities, give us the probability and tell us when they're likely to be won. "Andy" our salesman for example is the record manager for a number of companies. But when Max logs an opportunity in his name on QW, the opportunity record manager on ACT will always be Max until he changes it manually.

This isn't a huge problem but means we need to remember to go into ACT, find the opportunity and change the record manager manually each time which will become quite time consuming.

Hmm, I see so it seems to be the fact that Max is logged in to ACT! it (wrongly) assumes he is the record manager and not Andy.
This would probably need an enhancement to QW to force that field to be one that's set in QuoteWerks; I'll speak with the dev team.

My email is matt@prestigequoting.com ; perhaps you could email me your details directly, so I can keep you up to speed most quickly?