Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

All,

We are having problems with the Windows Update named Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892).

The update fails to install.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kahlquist
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

Hi All,

Having spent several days ignoring this update, I finally decided to get the problem solved. As a preface: this is what I ended up doing. I'm not responsible for what happens to your system if you follow these instructions. Continue at your own risk. Here's what I ended up doing:

Before you continue... 

First, download the Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Service Pack 3. It doesn't matter which of the two files you download. Keep it secret, keep it safe. Open the installer like you're going to install the service pack (you're not), once it's finished decompressing all of the files, find where it dropped these files (I ended up with "c:\afjkbobo20505lkdkv02305tr...", you get the idea). Copy everything in this directory somewhere else (it will probably tell you you can't copy one of the files with a name like "$shtdwn$", go ahead and copy everything else.) Really we're only after one file, but it's best to grab everything.

And now, the conclusion...

1. In your control panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, then "Microsoft SQL Server 2005", click "Change".

2. Click on the "Next" button until you get to the prompt where it wants you to complete the suspended installation. Select this option. After some hemming and hawing, it will say "Wait, I can't find sqlrun_sql.msi!".

3. Click the "Browse" button, go find the folder you put the files from the "Before you continue" step. I used the Windows Search tool to find the "sqlrun_sql.msi" file to save myself some time, I don't remember exactly which directory it's in.

4. It should continue, error free. I did get a "Wait, I can't find 'e:\ACT\Databases\Export2.adf'" error, but hit the "Retry" button and it continued on with no further errors. I think this is unique to a missing database on my system and your mileage may vary.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Install the KB970982 patch.

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS! 

My rudimentary understanding of the sequence of events makes me think that a previous patch did not install correctly, and the installer silently goes "Oh, they don't need to know about this...", which is fine...until you need to install another update.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any of the steps are unclear. I'm doing this from a fuzzy recollection of a caffiene-fueled midnight repair attempt.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

We also are experiencing the same problem with SP3 KB970892.

David

Bronze Elite Contributor

Microsoft has reported several problems applying this critical update. Some causes could be required services not working or compressed drives. 

Go Start > Run > type services.msc

Look for  "SQL Server" and "SQL Server Agent" and ensure that they are both started. Try to apply the update again. 

It has also been reported that compressed drives can cause this. Look at the properties for the c:\ and see if compressed drives is checked. 

Microsoft provides free support for security updates

I've included the link to the security bulletin that discusses support options, but they recommend calling 1-866-PCSAFETY.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892

Please post results.  

Copper Contributor

Act 2010 installs SQL Server 2005 Express and only the following services exist:

SQL Server (ACT7)

SQL Server Active Directory Helper

SQL Server Browser

SQL Server VSS Writer

Please advise.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I would ensure non of them are disabled.
Copper Contributor

Only the SQL Server Active Directory Helper is disabled.  If you set the service to Manual or Automatic the update will still not install.
Bronze Elite Contributor

There have been many complaints in the Microsoft community regarding problems applying this update. While we do ship and require SQL to be installed, we often have limited resources in diagnosing and resolving problems caused by Microsoft updates. 

Microsoft does provide free support for security updates

I've included the link to the security bulletin that discusses support options, but they recommend calling 1-866-PCSAFETY.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892

I apologize for the frustration.  

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

<<fixed path to log file>

For me to help you investigate, take a look at your SQL Server 2005 SP3 Summary.txt log file that is located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix.  In there, it will indicate the exit/error code and the component that failed to install.  For the failure component, it should link to a detail log.  Open up the specified detail log, search for "value 3". You should see the error about 20 lines above "value 3".  If you can't tell from the error message how to resolve, post the error to the forum.

Thanks,

Peter Saddow

Message Edited by PeterSad on 10-20-2009 09:09 PM
Solution
Accepted by topic author kahlquist
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hi All,

Having spent several days ignoring this update, I finally decided to get the problem solved. As a preface: this is what I ended up doing. I'm not responsible for what happens to your system if you follow these instructions. Continue at your own risk. Here's what I ended up doing:

Before you continue... 

First, download the Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Service Pack 3. It doesn't matter which of the two files you download. Keep it secret, keep it safe. Open the installer like you're going to install the service pack (you're not), once it's finished decompressing all of the files, find where it dropped these files (I ended up with "c:\afjkbobo20505lkdkv02305tr...", you get the idea). Copy everything in this directory somewhere else (it will probably tell you you can't copy one of the files with a name like "$shtdwn$", go ahead and copy everything else.) Really we're only after one file, but it's best to grab everything.

And now, the conclusion...

1. In your control panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, then "Microsoft SQL Server 2005", click "Change".

2. Click on the "Next" button until you get to the prompt where it wants you to complete the suspended installation. Select this option. After some hemming and hawing, it will say "Wait, I can't find sqlrun_sql.msi!".

3. Click the "Browse" button, go find the folder you put the files from the "Before you continue" step. I used the Windows Search tool to find the "sqlrun_sql.msi" file to save myself some time, I don't remember exactly which directory it's in.

4. It should continue, error free. I did get a "Wait, I can't find 'e:\ACT\Databases\Export2.adf'" error, but hit the "Retry" button and it continued on with no further errors. I think this is unique to a missing database on my system and your mileage may vary.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Install the KB970982 patch.

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS! 

My rudimentary understanding of the sequence of events makes me think that a previous patch did not install correctly, and the installer silently goes "Oh, they don't need to know about this...", which is fine...until you need to install another update.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any of the steps are unclear. I'm doing this from a fuzzy recollection of a caffiene-fueled midnight repair attempt.

Copper Contributor

I also finished the suspended installation and was then able to install SP3 with no problem.