Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Searching for contacts in sub-companies

Searching for contacts in sub-companies

Hi

We have ACT! set up with a company with subcompanies. i.e. in the company section we have umbrella company, division (as a subcompany), unit (as a subcompany under division) etc.

So we might for example have

Big Company | Operations | Supply Chain Management

and

Big Company | Operations | Procurement

Contacts can be assigned to both the Supply Chain and Procurement subcompanies, as well as to the Operations level directly.

I want to do a search for contacts who are in Big Company | Operations, so I search for contacts in the Operations subcompany. But this does not return contacts in the units under Operations.

How do I get the search to include contacts in units / other org areas under the subcompany I list? This requirement is a bit like doing a search in Windows Explorer or MS Outlook where I want to tick the checkbox 'search in subfolders'.

Any pointers appreciated. There must be a way!

Lauchlan

Re: Searching for contacts in sub-companies

I should have mentioned this is in ACT! 2009 Premium.
Copper Elite Contributor

Launchlan,

You could modify the ID/Status field in the company table to add a dropdown with say Operations, Procurement, Supply Chain Mgt.  Make the dropdown multi-select capable.  Then Do an advanced "company" lookup (meaning the company table not company field) and specify the Big company name in the first line like "company = Big Company Name".  The second criteria line you can specify whatever ID/Status category or categories that you want.  If you have some you do frequently for a given Big Company then save the query by clicking the floppy icon in advanced query, create a custom command from the query and tie it to a button.  From there you can put it on the toolbar so all you have to do is click on the icon to launch the query. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Slight Correction,

You would need to create a contact field say "Division Type" and populate it like I mentioned with a multi-select dropdown containing Operations, Procurement, Supply Chain Mgt.  In the advanced query then you would specify "Company = Big Company" and ("Division Type = Operations" or "Division Type = Procurement").  Once launched it would return contacts that are in either of the other "division types".  Yes you could tie that to a button in the same way too.  Hope this helps.

Hi act_enthusiast,

Thanks so much for your thought.

However, it's not really the kind of solution I'm after. I want to use the ID/Status field for other things, and also this solution would involve duplicating information - I would add the unit information both in the company hierarchy and in the ID/Status field. I feel that if I was going to duplicate information, I may as well enter the division and section fields at the contact level and search on those.

My ideal solution would be to get the search to return contact results for the company level I specify _and for contacts in all subcompanies_.

Lauchlan

Hi act_enthusiast,

Yep, this second suggestion is much better. But it still involves managing the hierarchy information in two places - in the company hierarchy and in the division field. I'm not keen on maintaining organisational data in two places, as it tends to get out of synch when their are changes to the org structure.

Lauchlan

Copper Elite Contributor

Another thing to consider is that you can base company membership using lookup criteria "dynamically".  This is very easy when you can base that query on field values.  For example you create a new company or division and define the membership criteria as (Company = Big Company and Division Type = Production).  Then you just update the field values on the contact layout and the company memberhship updates automatically.  If you have to do mass updates like reassign one division to another you would do a lookup, then Edit Replace on the Division Type field to the updated value .  Assuming you had the dynamic membership criteria specified for companies this would automatically repopulate company membership for those companies that had dynamic membership specified.