Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screwed-up Moving Database - Can I Recover?

Screwed-up Moving Database - Can I Recover?

[ Edited ]

We have 2 databases [Old] and [New]. I've now discovered the backup/restore function and think I know how to do that. I have created a backup of [Old], which was hosted on our XP machine, onto our Win7 machine. I will follow the steps from this article to finish that later.

We are getting rid of the XP machine, so I wanted to start hosting the files on Win7. Unfortunately, before finding out the backup/restore feature I tried simply copying the PAD/ALF/ADF files and the database's folder to a new shared folder on Win7.

I've copied these back and forth, now back to their original place in a shared folder on the XP machine. The database won't open on either machine.

The PAD file says [XP computer's name] under "host=". I tried changing that to the IP address of [XP] and that didn't work (and changed it back).

I'm kind of at a loss for why I can't open the database, when all I did was move the files from folder to folder.I don't think that I even backed up [New], because I didn't think that merely moving files would mess anything up.

actdiag lists only this [New] database as status RECOVERY, but I can't access the DB to repair it or whatever I should do from either computer. This is one of the error messages I got:

Database 'Leads' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
Database Maintenance error occurred with PRC_MAINT_CHECKUPDB: SINGLE_USER
Database 'Leads' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
Database Maintenance error occurred with PRC_MAINT_CHECKUPDB: MULTI_USER
File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Users\E\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\Databases\Leads.ALF" may be incorrect.
The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.
File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Users\E\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\Databases\Leads.ALF" may be incorrect.
The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.

Database 'New' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.

Database Maintenance error occurred with PRC_MAINT_CHECKUPDB: SINGLE_USER

Database 'New' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.Database Maintenance error occurred with PRC_MAINT_CHECKUPDB: MULTI_USER

File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Users\E\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\[New Shared Folder on Win7]\New.ALF" may be incorrect.

The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.File activation failure.

The physical file name "C:\Users\E\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\[New Shared Folder on Win7]\New.ALF" may be incorrect.The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.

--

The PAD file lists the original shared folder on the XP computer as the path

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Screwed-up Moving Database - Can I Recover?

You might want to take a look at this kb 23392.   You should be fine.

Leslie

Leslie Munson
ACT! Certified Consultant
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting,LLC
Leslie@egenconsulting.com
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Re: Screwed-up Moving Database - Can I Recover?

Your link is bad. (fixed)

I tried actdiag on both computers and the option to detach was greyed out, so that wouldn't have worked.

Anyhow, I appreciate the help but solved this problem and have a new one. All I had to do was restart the XP machine for the fourth time after having made whatever changes last. I really don't know what it is that allowed me to get back into [New] and backup.

So, I got both databases backed up to the Win7 machine, renamed them to new copies in the Win7 shared folder, and am able to open them on the Win7 machine with no problem.

Now I need to be able to open them on the XP machine. I forgot how I even got the database open in Win7 when it was shared off of the XP machine. I was putting off moving the databases until both computers have Win7 because using the new Homegroup feature is supposedly easier.

I have the folder where the databases are in Win7 shared, with full permissions allowed for "Everyone". I have sharing allowed in Win7 settings but it just doesn't work.