Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screen refresh problems in Act Premium 2008

Screen refresh problems in Act Premium 2008

We have hit a dead end troubleshooting this problem.  Our client is using a Dell Latitude D420 notebook with 2 Gb RAM and an onboard video card (Mobile Intel 945 GM Express).  All installed and running apps work fine except for ACT.  The symptom is slow or incomplete screen refresh when changing modules or following selection of an item on the menu bar.  As an example when the client makes a selection from the menu bar, there should be drop down items in a selection list.  We see some of the items in the list but not all of them.  Then, if we roll the mouse up and down over the area on the screen where the rest of the selection list should appear, we will eventually refresh the screen and see the full list.

In an effort to fix the problem, we have increased RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb, have rebuilt and patched the notebook multiple times.  We have defragged the system multiple times and performed maintenance on the Act Db.  All without improvement.  And as stated above , the problem only appears within ACT not any other applications on the notebook.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated as we have already invested over 20 hours of engineer time working on this client notebook without success.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Screen refresh problems in Act Premium 2008

Try reducing the hardware acceleration on the graphics card
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have been having this same problem with ACT 10.2 on one computer, I have resolved the problem through the ACT! Knowledge Base suggested. Thanks for this, I really appreciate it as I had reinstalled ACT and defragged the computer numerous times trying to fix.

I have one question though, will lowering the hardware acceleration effect the drawing programs on this computer, as the staff member on this computer does a lot of work on AutoCAD and other drawing programs? Sorry I am not hugely computer literate and aware of the ramification.

Thanks,

Jonny 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not sure of the effect on AutoCad (you might need to ask them). Most systems actually operate faster with it off.

Sometimes updating the video driver will allow the HVA to be on and not cause issues... or try turning it up or down one notch at a time.

If AutoCad speed is an issue, get a real graphics card instead of the inbuilt one. Even a fairly cheap Nvidia 7300 doesn't use the Windows Hardware Vid acceleration as it's handled by the board

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your time Mike i will contact them to check.

Jonathan 

Copper Contributor

I realize that this thread was resolved 4 years ago but I just wanted to add a comment.

My monitor died today and I replaced it with a newer larger monitor. Everything seemed to work fine except ACT 2012 Premium... no screen redraw at all. Every time the screen changed, the old remained and the new was drawn over top of everything else.

This response--disabling the graphics acceleration--saved me a lot of futile Windows work and aggravation.