Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Scheduling Sync Challenges Act Premium 2008 V10

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Scheduling Sync Challenges Act Premium 2008 V10

I submitted this to the local Sage guys for escalation, but they said they couldn't replicate it and I haven't had the time to re-do the test with screen shots for them

Roy, if you have the time can you submit this as a bug in the ACC groups or to the US team
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

The fact is there isn't any bug but the problem is easy to duplicate. I worked through the tracking in ACT! 6 and wrote the original KB regarding what happens. In a way it as easier to see the tracking in ACT! 6 because you knew there was a file specifically for tracking transactions.

What happens is that a user has setup sync between a parent database at the off ice and their laptop or home computer. During the day they are out of the office and they clear activities on the remote computer. When they do this, a history is recorded, the activity is cleared and perhaps a followup activity created. What many people don't realize is that each one is a separate transaction with its own time and date stamp, not part of a single transaction. Moving forward, the next day the user comes into the office and starts up ACT! and gets the prompt for automatic rollover which they do. The result is that each activity rollover records a transaction for that activity with today's date and time stamp. For those activities that were cleared the previous day this transaction has a newer time and date stamp than the transaction that was recorded when the activity was cleared. The when the sync is done, the transaction related to the clearing of the activity is disregarded because it is older than the transaction related to the rolling over of the activity. However, the transactions related to the recording of history and the followup activity are not effected.

This sequence of events led me to consider syncing and automatic rolling over of activities to be mutually exclusive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Roy, I do understand the reason for it, but I still consider it a bug.

If an activity is cleared on db and moved or rolled over on a synced copy, ACT! should know by the UniqueID that this is the same item.

Maybe the only solution is to produce a "Sync Conflicts" dialogue - ONLY if the roll-over or edit was done at a later time than it was cleared... then allowing the user to say this is the same activity.

If it was rolled over BEFORE it was cleared on two systems, the sync should simply act on the last item in the LOG

Either way, it shouldn't just produce duplicate activities making roll-over incompatable with sync.