Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Saving Word templates

Tuned Listener

Saving Word templates

When editing a Word template and trying to save it it reponds as "being in use - please try later. Sometimes this is not a long time but sometimes it is not possible to save as this message recurs each time. Is there a timer that can be changed?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Saving Word templates

Is it a shared db on a LAN? Maybe someone else is using it

This should just be Word doing this... usually better to Save As a different name in case there's an error anyway

My computer does the same thing. More often than not, when I call up a "contact info" template I created, I get the same error. I have to click on the template about 3 times to get it to work.

It's a bug, imo, that ACT's finest need to fix.

I have the same problem with the templates. When I modify a template and try to save it will not save in the right format that ACT 10 needs it will try to save it as a MSW template which does not work with ACT normally.

Also when I try to delete a template it will tell me that is in use by someone else can not delete.

I have 7 computers network via M Small business server

Help

Mike
Tuned Listener

Hi Mike it is on a standalone machine - can take several minutes before it will save.
Copper Contributor

we are having similar issues when users click on an old template, they get an error message and then it opens it up in Wordpad:

"i get a message saying unable to convert and forcing me to open the document in wordpad, after which I can then copy/paste the text into a new word document."

"The same thing happens when I try to open other older word docs, they get converted to wordpad and I have to then copy/paste into a blank word document which I then save in Word."

Nickel Super Contributor

It looks like we actually have three very different issues being raised here.

The first one, the document is not saving because it believes it is in use. A few things to do. Make sure Word is closed, search for and delete any normal.dot files found on the system. You'll need to search for hidden files to find them. If that does not resolve the issue, try running a Detect and Repair in Outlook. I would also check the location of the files, make sure permissions are correct. You can test with the demo database and see if the issue occurs in that database as it is typically in a different location.

Second issue is the inability to save a file in .adt format. First thing, make sure you are clicking on just 'Save As' and not lookinh for a menu item in the popup. Second thing to work around this issue, put the template name in quotes. ie: "new template.adt" This will force word to save it in adt format.

The third issue is a conversion issue. It appears that the previous templates did not/are not converting properly when being opened in the new version. Unfortunately, the only real solution is to recreate the damaged templates. You might also consider talking with an ACC that might be able to help you more with the damaged templates.

stresco wrote:
we are having similar issues when users click on an old template, they get an error message and then it opens it up in Wordpad:

"i get a message saying unable to convert and forcing me to open the document in wordpad, after which I can then copy/paste the text into a new word document."

"The same thing happens when I try to open other older word docs, they get converted to wordpad and I have to then copy/paste into a blank word document which I then save in Word."

Wordpad? ACT! doesn't support Wordpad.
What's the exact error message?
   Tip: When the error occurs, press Ctrl-C. This copies the text of a Windows error to the clipboard. then you can press Crtl-V to paste it here or elsewhere. Much easier than screen shots, but very few people I know are aware of this.

When you say "open older Word doc", do you mean from ACT!? How about if you try to open them from Windows Explorer? What's the extension?

Airlite wrote:
Hi Mike it is on a standalone machine - can take several minutes before it will save.

Can you give the exact steps you're using and I'll see if I can think of something

Also the verisons of ACT! and Word