Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Saving Templates in ACT!2009 Premium

Copper Contributor

Saving Templates in ACT!2009 Premium

After completing "Edit Template" process, I am having difficulty saving the now edited template as a template in ACT!Templates for Microsoft Word (*.adt). Word 2007 Save As command always saves the document in Word. After saving, when I go to ACT! I can't find that template under Write, Other Document (from Template) folder. All the original ACT! templates are there but not my new template. Thank you for an answer.
Bronze Contributor

Re: Saving Templates in ACT!2009 Premium

When saving your templates you might try "document.adt" make sure to put it in quotes. I have seen this previously but cannot recall why.

also check the type of file Word is saving to make sure it is a word Document

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

it doesn't give me the option of saving it in that format. I even wanted to save into the same folder where ACT! templates are located. It does save it in there but as one of the formats available in Word such as Word 2007 Template, Word 2007 Document, etc. There is no ACT! Document Template (*.adt) option available. Older versions of ACT! used to work just fine because I used it many times before but ACT!2009 (Ver 11.0) has many unsolved issues.

What do you do when you pull up a template, change it to your liking and save it as another template? Does the new template show up in your template folder when you go to Write/Other Document (from template) folder? Mine doesn't.

Copper Contributor

As the previous post was trying to tell you:

The ADT format is not a special format, it is a special extention.

ACT! uses Microsoft Word Template files (DOT), but changes the extension so that when you double click on them, it launches ACT! instead of Word.

So, by manually changing a Word Template from DOT to ADT and copying it into your ACT! database templates folder, you can use it.

The previous post said to set the name to "<your file name>.adt" because if you don't use the quotes around the name, Word will save the file as <your file name>.adt.dot. 

My guess as to why you are not getting the filter, and as to why the the Save and Save As... options are not taking you to the right location would be that the ActOffice2007Addin.dll is not working properly.

To see if it is enabled in Word, you can check this registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ActOffice2007Addin.Connect | LoadBehavior

This value should be 3

If it is 2, try changing it to 3.

If when you start Word, Word changes it to 2, then the DLL is not working properly.

If this is the case, please check the following registry entry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CCFA3D3B-C317-455C-9292-960F81287088}\InprocServer32 | CodeBase

This value should be set to the full path to this DLL in your ACT! install directory.

If it is not set or does not exist, you cannot just set it, you have to register the DLL properly.

If this is the case, please post back and let me know.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am having the same issue.  My registry is correctly showing the 3.  Any other thoughts on how I can get MicroSoft Word to let me save as a .ADT?  I used to have that option, but I had to delete and reinstall Act because of the other issue you helped me with, and now that option is gone.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I just open a pre-existing template and copy and paste the template from word into it and save it as a different name.

Randy Avenell
New Vision Computer Consulting
(559) 286-8225
New.VisionCC@Live.Com
Avid Listener

I have a feeling this is a Windows thing.  I bet your system is configured to NOT show the extensions of known file types (the default in XP and Vista, which drives me NUTS!!). 

Browse to the folder where your ACT templates are located and click Tools -> Folder Options.  Click the VIEW tab and make sure that there is NOT a check next to the "Hide extensions for known file types".

Once you do this, you will see the file names with extensions, and you can easily change the .dot extensions to .adt.  These should now be visible from ACT.

Once you get ONE of these templates working, be sure to create new files from ACT by selecting Write -> Edit Template, and selecting one of the working templates.  When you open it, IMMEDIATELY, do a Save As, and change the file name.  Then you can edit the file as needed.  This automatically saves the files as .adt and prevents you from havnig to do the above.

Copper Contributor

In the first instance, the value is set to 3.

In the second instance I don't have HKEY_LOCAL_ROOT|CLSID folder.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

The entire process is quite ridiculous. My ACT! templates are in My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\databases\BayhillAdvisors-database files\Templates folder. And when I edit a template and save it, it is saved in this folder. All templates with .adt, .dotx, .tpl, whatever. But only files with .adt ending are available in ACT template area!

The only way I have been able to have a new template, say bizletter.dotx, be visible in ACT is after I re-name the template as bizletter.adt! (This also changes the icon in front of the file from the icon that goes with Word to one handshake icon of ACT). The process is very cumbersome. I need to edit the template, save it as a Word2007 template. Then go in and re-name the file so ACT can see it. Developers of ACT must come up with something much better than that. I'll keep trying to see if any of your ideas work better than what I found by trial.

I am a new Act! user and have been trying for the best part of 2 hours to do a mailshot to a database of 3000. My stumbling block was when I tried to create a document in Word via Act, it would not let me save in the .adt extension. Anywhoo, after much hair pulling, and no help from my Act! for Dummies book, I stumbled across this advice of unchecking the box next to "hide extensions for know file types". Once I'd found the templates folder, I could easily change the extension to .adt, and then continue with the mail merge. But now it is 16:30, and I can see me waiting way longer than my home time of 17:00 as my printer is very slow!!!

Thanks so much for the help Smiley Happy