Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Save As Empty Copy database import from DB lost Relationships links

JM
Nickel Contributor

Running Prem 2011 ver. 13.1.111. Hot Fix 6

Created from Source DB by Save As Empty Copy of Database, performed all the exporting steps.

After getting the Users in and setup I First exported from Source all the Companies into new DB, then Groups then Opportunities then Contact records.  This way I don't loose my Contact records links with Blue font and Underline for Company field. Also to insure Oppt. records in the Contact records and linked and able to jump to Oppt. record.

My issue is the Relationships Tab no longer shows in new DB the links for those records I related.  My previous Save As Empty DB was done with version of Hot Fix 5 which I wonder is the reason why I no longer able to recover that part of the exporting?

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Save As Empty Copy database import from DB lost Relationships links

Is the tab not showing or is the tab there, but no data?

If there is no tab, try this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23893

If it's the data ... while, I haven't tested this, I don't think that's included in the import/export .. an oversight.

Have you tried doing all the data in the one merge to see if that works? Try it with the demo as a test (you might create a new relationship there first)

Question: What is the reason you're creating this new copy? Maybe there's a different way to achieve your goal?

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike,

The TAB is there just missing the data in my DB contact records Relationships.

Being so late at night when I saw problem I planned on running tests on Demo-DB later to besure my DB is not corrupt.

I'm concerned the HOT FIX 6 (HF-6) is the problem and plan on installing ACT! 2011 SP1 HF-5 on another PC then recover my backup DB that was not updated to HF-6 and see if after Save As processes DB retains my relationships.

I did Save As.. when I was running ACT HF-5 and relationships are there in that version which was opened with ACT! HF-6.

I also notice running Save As after update to HF-6 has been unstable at completing the importing of History records or properly getting Opportunity records associated with Contact records.

As for why doing Save As.  My DB after importing with MergeAdmin another 3,000 new records and updating +30 fields in all 69,000 records the file size got large and is only way to shrink it. ACT! 2012 fixed the ACTDIAG Reindex issue not shrinking DB, but I'm not ready to upgrade to it till Sage gets it 100% solid on the remote sync.

Also past experience with so much changed in imports I've seen minor corruptions which Save As reveals.

Each is a unique location with an ID# and fields holding spec's so there are no dups. 

As you would know for me to re-import my DB again and try different way takes hours...

Sage needs to update their article about Save As Empty copy database.  Must reflect after exporting ACT Users into new DB and remove Temp user to export Company records next (before all Contact Records) in order for the Contact Records Company field to retain the Blue Font with Underline meaning Contact is linked to Company record.

JM

Well, while I haven't directly tested it... the docs on import/export don't mention "Relationships" - might need to be reported as a bug

Not sure if MergeAdmin has the option, but there's a function in itImport to only update the field if the source is different ...mainly for sync users doing regular updates so it doesn't think everything has been updated and need to send it all
JM
Nickel Contributor

I installed ACT on another PC installed up to SP1 HF5 then did the Save As Empty Copy Database steps with the ACTDemo DB and Relationaships problem is there as well.  Not sure if I should have gone upto Hot Fix 4.

I tried a couple of ways (order Company first, then Contact + Group +Oppt.) Exporting Old into New DB.  I don't get it this worked two months ago, unless I did it when I had HF-4 version.

With this problem being ACT issue I don't think using Merge Admin is in play, but assume your pointing out itImport because you would use it instead of ACT! to merge from Old DB into New?

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

TO SAGE,

Ran test Demo DB's on Win7 64 bit and 32 bit PC's, ACT!  Prem 2011 SP1 HotFix2 up to HotFix 6.

After doing all steps of Save As Empty Copy of Database then export form old into new Relationships are not retained?

I learned I have to export from Old to New DB after I get the Users moved over to next do Companies then I can do Contacts to retain my Contact record company field linked records which can be seen with the Blue Font Underline.

I was sure since SP1 Hot fix 2 I could retain relationships but now after several checks I don't think so.

JM

Yup, like I said, I think it's a bug ...

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here -
http://community.act.com/t5/SHARE-YOUR-IDEAS/idb-p/ideas

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on. It also allows other users to vote on these so Sage can get an idea of the demand

This article might help word the request to make it easier for management to look at it:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/01/how-are-product-management-decisions.html

JM
Nickel Contributor

Done posted it in Share Your Ideas. Now just need people to got to it and Kudos this bug.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike,

Greig Hollister removed it from Shared Ideas because this is the forum to post it and if found as a bug.  They will post a fix and or provide a way to export relationships from OLD DB into New Save As DB.

Thanks for you help in getting this noticed.

JM